Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-R/CD-R Stopped Reading Discs

• Please log in to reply

Lindsey_The_Non-Techie_Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Also...I just found a driver update on the sony website that i'm going to run in the meantime.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
NOPE - Uggh... go ahead with the new suggestions. THanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's run a reg file on it first. Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the sip and choose "Extract All"...extract it to your desktop. Right click on the new file (cdgone.reg) and choose "Merge"...accept the change.

Reboot and try the drive again.

If you'd like to see what is in the file, you can right click on it and choose Open With > notepad.

Attached File  cdgone.zip   295bytes   80 downloads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK. I did that suggestion and still not reading any cds. It starts to spin, the light is orange..and then a weird click sound happens and a second later the light turns off.

When I open Explorer and choose the CD drive it will open a new window but it doesn't start to spin at all.