Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with modem

• Please log in to reply

brewlio

brewlio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
can anybody help.

I had a modem (bt voyager 105) that automatically set up with the AOL broadband instillation. I have now given modem to my brother who uses another service provider. How can i configure this modem without using the AOl broadband set up disk ?I can't find the driver software anywhere on the net.

Edited by brewlio, 22 December 2006 - 04:35 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know if you have found these. They may help.

http://www.btopenwor...ml#yahoodrivers

And theres this from another forum.

I have had the exact same problem, the 'beepin' modem just wont connect to the internet. After many phone calls to the so called 'tech support', who just tell you to do random stuff just for them to make them sound good but they are actually crap, i finally solved to the problem MYSELF. For all those having difficulties with the voyager 105 listen up. Uninstall both the voyager 105 driver and then AOL 9.0. Once restarted install the voyager 105 modem only. To do this instert the disk then:
Start --> my computer --> right click on AOL CD --> Drivers --> voyager 105 then setup.
This will only install the driver and not AOL 9.0. Do not install AOL 9.0, that mucks up the internet. I connect through broadband connection in which i made my self. to do this go to:
start --> control panel --> network and internet --> internet connections --> connections --> add --> then connect via broadband --> follow the steps --> in the user name and password just put your AOL email address and AOL passowrd.

And you could always try this.

http://www.voyager.b...c_download.htm#

SRX660

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If the modem has an ethernet connection and your brother has an ethernet port on his PC (ie a network card) your brother should connect it up that way (with a CAT5 network cable) rather than using USB. That way, you don't even need to install the modem driver either, as the driver is only required for USB.

Quite apart from that, USB was never intended for networking, it's just used because it makes the hardware cheaper to make. Ethernet WAS intended for networking. One less driver on your PC means one less chance of a driver conflict and less messing about installing it.