Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Presario V5000 running slow even after fresh OS install...

• Please log in to reply

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi, Unfortunately I''m back with another problem. : )
I have a Compaq Presario V5000 which I only bought a few months back. It was fine at first but I had a little incident where because someone switched off the laptop by pressing the power button during startup the "My documents" folder became corrupt. Now I dont know if thats the cause but recently it has been running quiet slow. It doesnt freeze but just just takes a while to run/load things. Just yesterday I reinstalleed XP and it is running a bit more smoothly but is still slow compared to what it was. I guess it cant be Spyware/malware or virus because the hard drive has just been formatted (during reinstallation of the OS) I've also downloaded all the drivers for everything i could think of. Is there anything else I should check?

I've attached a full report from everest to start with.

Attached Files

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download, install and run Sandra Lite XI (free). in "tools" run "burn-in computer". Read carefully the introduction page and if you decide to run it run for about 15 minutes, not more. If there are any hardware problems due to the power switch off they shoukd show in the test. Alternatively, in "benchmarking" you can run one test at a time.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
It's not working for me. I double click the icon and nothing happens. I tried installing it twice.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download the 2005 version from here

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
It's still not working. I dont know if this helpfull but when I try to run chkdsk it always freezes on stage 4 of 5 at 97%.

Are these kind of problems generaly easy to fix?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It depends what the problem is. It looks possible to me that some parts of the HD were damaged. I suggest the following:

backup any valuable data that you may have on the disk.

Download Everest home edition from here. Run it and look in "storage" to identify the manufacturer of your hard drive. If you already know skip this step.

Download and create a bootable cd or floppy of diagnostic software for your type of HD. Boot up and follow the instructions. Run a complete test of the HD and report the results.

Here are some links to download centers of some major manufacturers: Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Fujitsu, samsung

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Just before I do that, I'd like to say that I realised that even though the laptop is a 1800+ reports from everest shows thats its running at 800...
You think I should look into this first?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I looked briefly at the Everest log and find that the clock speed is 200 and it multiplied by 9 to give 1800 Mhz. That's how it should be. I suggest that you run a thorough check of your hard disk.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Will do that but the report I uploaded before seems to be wrong or just taken at the wrong time because my cpu is running at 798MHz (4 x 198) where it should be doing 1800+ (9 x 199)
It sometimes flickers (really quickly) between the two but only stays at 798. The other speed just flickers on and off. I get the same readings with everest and CPUZ. I dont understand this. Also I couldnt find anything in the bios which lets me change the settings.
BTW I didnt overclock this laptop.

I've attached a new report on the cpu speed.

Attached Files

Edited by Zaine7673, 25 December 2006 - 07:13 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Frankly, I am not sure I know what to do with this report. Everest is not a benchmarking software except for ram (read, write, latency). Isuggest that we concentrate at the moment on the obvious, your HD which you did not succeed to check. The best is to download a manufacturer's diagnostic boot program because this also eliminate the possibility of windows problems.

If we succeed here and the computer is still slow we will look for another hardware benchmarking perogram. I wonder why you do not succeed in installing Sandra. I'll have a look at their internet site for answers.

Latter addition: download and run the burning and performance programs from this site. They are free for 30 days.

Edited by The Skeptic, 25 December 2006 - 09:25 AM.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I've run burnintest and most of them passed. (Things like USB, Parallel port and others alike failed. Guessing its because there was nothing plugged into them.)
The rating from performance test is 902.4
Using the Fujitsu HDD diagnostics tool said that it couldnt perform the task because it cannot detect any inserted HDD's. This cant be correct.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What did the burning test show about your HD?

If, for some reason, the Fujitsu test doesn't work (I don't know the reason for that) use the Seagate software. It is more versatile and I use it quite often even on other manufacturers' disks.

What is the volume of the drive and how much free space do you have on it?

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
The Laptop passed the HDD test.

used - 31Gb
Free - 43.5Gb
Total - 74.5Gb

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did yoy run the quick or the full test. Run the full test. It takes some time. Backup your data before.