Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing Files & Printer over a Network

• Please log in to reply

spider_darth

spider_darth

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

If I were to share my files and printer over a network, will I be able to access the files of a computer(1) on the network using another computer(2) when the PC(1) is not on? Also, can I print using a computer(2) on the network when the computer(1) with the printer installed is not on?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I'm going to try to put this in a way that's clear... Say you move all your files you want shared to computer #1. If you turn computer #1 off, you cannot access those shared files. Also, if Coputer #1 has the printer attached to it via USB or some other form of connection, and it's shared, as well as the computer being off, then it cannot be seen from another computer. In this case, it sounds like Computer #1 is the host computer. In order to access any network resources besides internet connection, computer #1 must be on.

Edited by Stormknight6, 22 December 2006 - 08:59 AM.

spider_darth

spider_darth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
If that's the case, is there a way where i can share my printer over the network such that the computer connected to the printer does not have to be on?

Also, how do u create a network? If I have 2 computers connected to a modem, one via USB and the other via LAN, is this considered a network? Both shares the same internet connection.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you can share printers and such then I'm tempted to say that it's a network. I think you can buy a hub that will make it so your printer has its own signal, no hosting computer... We'll have to research that.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
It's called a print server, but you'd need a router of some type to make it work, since you're already using the only two ports available.

http://www.tigerdire.....=print server