Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost ability to access second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

polarbear57

polarbear57

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: I need help in finding my second hard drive which has been used for storage as well as some of my programs. When I restarted my computer I did not see Drive D on "My Computer" screen. When I attempt to enter a program which is in Drive D I receive the message: "The drive or network connection that the shortcut "name of any program as I have tried mostly all programs" refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again." Drive C is working well as is my operating system (Windows XP). The only new program installed was Windows Defender. I do have Norton Systemworks on my computer, but had it on Drive D so I cannot access it to evaluate the computer. I have looked in "My Computer" and Drive D is not listed. I have restarted in DOS mode but when I type in Dir D I get the message that it is not found. I removed Windows Defender without that helping find Drive D afterwards. I have also attempted to restore the system to a previous time, but Drive D does not appear afterwards. How can I find Drive D? I really appreciate your assistance.

Bruce

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on "my computer" choose manage, then disk management...do you see your other hard drive listed there?
restart the computer and enter bios (usually by pressing the f2 or delete key during bootup) is the drive detected there?

polarbear57

polarbear57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did not find the drive after checking both methods you suggested. To be certain, when I enter the Bios where would I look for the drive? I checked the "Boot" section under Hard Drive but it was not listed there. Appreciate your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...depending on the bios it should be in a section about devices or peripherals...pretty much just look under every screen and look for a reference to the second drive