Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tuneup utilities bootskin manager

• Please log in to reply

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
im using TuneUp Utilities 2006 to spice up my computer. im using it to change my bootskin (xp loading skin). i made my own picture through photoshop and loaded into tuneup. when i use windows picture and fax viewer, the picture looks fine. but when i start up my computer and actually see the bootskin used to replace the standard xp boot screen, the picture appears very grainy. film grain is the term used in windows movie maker. i didnt choose that option. im not sure if i can change it, or if its just a problem with the hardware (memory, processor.....etc.) required for startup. any suggestions?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think the problem is the resolution of the image you made. You need to re-make it Photoshop with a much higher resoution if you want it to fill the screen without getting 'pixellation' (the grainy effect). Photoshop's default resolution for newly created images is 72ppi, nowhere near high enough to fill a 15 or 17-inch screen without losing quality. Try 300ppi and start again with a new image at that setting.

If it took you quite a while to make the image, you could try simply adding more pixels via 'Image>Image Size' in Photoshop, but that won't add any extra detail so it may still look poor. Starting again may be the only way, making sure the resolution is high enough to start with.

Edited by pip22, 23 December 2006 - 07:55 AM.