Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Install Problems

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download and run Everest Home Edition on the machine...that will help us locate the correct drivers for the hardware you have installed.

Does it say which file is denying access? We may have to get that one with a different method. You might try MoveOnBoot to remove it before Windows loads...or use the program to rename it which should allow you to delete it.

Advertisements

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It's Flash9.ocx. (I edited my last post)

Also, I found out that I'm also missing my network drivers so I can't connect to the internet. Can you help me fix that? If I can connect to the internet then I should be able to fix the problems using those programs you gave me.

Edited by everlong1116, 23 December 2006 - 07:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look in Device Manager and see if it lists your network adapter by name and model number. If you can get me that, I should be able to round up a driver for you.

If this is an OEM Machine, the make and model number of that would be helpful, too.

Use MoveOnBoot on the Flash file.

Edited by wannabe1, 23 December 2006 - 08:04 PM.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
There are no network devices listed in my Device Manager. Sorry. I don't remember what they were called either. I'll try to look it up on any details that came with the computer, but I dunno if it'll be on there. And I'll try to MoveOnBoot though im going to have to burn it to a CD because there's no other way to get it on my computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Burn Everest, too. That should give you the info we need to get the drivers.

What brand machine? Model number?

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 if that's what you're asking.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your Drivers are HERE.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay thanks. MoveOnBoot doesn't seem to be working though. It said that it would be deleted on the next boot, but its still there. I tried it a couple times too.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Those drivers worked btw. I'm connected to the internet now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool...we're getting there.

Did you try renaming the file using MoveOnBoot? Or try moving it out of the folder (drag/drop, cut/paste) Try deleting the file in safe mode. It's an unused Adobe file...or supposedly unused. You may have to instll Adobe Flash to the new installation to get control of that file. You can start deleting everything else out of the Windows folder to start getting your space back.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You might try killbox, too.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay I'm going to try some of those steps you mentioned though I don't think it is an Adobe file. But how do I use Everest? I noticed that nothing is under Windows Audio if that helps. Do I just install the files from that drivers site you gave me? And what else do I need to look at in Everest?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In Everest, in the left pane, expand (click +) Devices, then click on Windows Devices. You should be able to find exactly which hardware you have in the right pane...then you can select the correct drivers from the Dell page I linked you to.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I got the file out of the Windows folder so I deleted the folder and edited the boot.ini file, but I still can't seem to get rid of that file. I tried all of the things you told me and nothing seems to be able to get rid of it. I guess it's not a huge problem, but it'd be nice to get rid of it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try taking ownership of the file...or have you tried that?