Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

6-32 metric threads?

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Wondering if anyone has had to deal with the different threads used in mounting motherboards in the computers. Yes i know that most are 6-32 thread brass standoffs and i have quite a large amount of leftover little parts from computer builds. I am working on a project that needs extra long standoffs and so i went to radio shack and bought a pack of PC Board standoffs #276-195, 13/16". I dont need them that long and the others are too short so i dragged out the dremel and shortened one to fit my needs. Then i found out the standoff was not threaded all the way thru. So i went out and bought a home depot Kobalt 6-32 thread tap kit( tap and drillbit) and now found that the tap does not go cleanly thru the original tapped threads. So now i wonder how these pieces are tapped and what thread are they. The packages say they are 6-32. Wondering if the japanese 6-32 is not the same as american 6-32.

So for now i have bought a alum rod and am cutting off and taping/threading my own standoffs. Long way to go but faster than trying to adapt ill fitting parts.

SRX660

Advertisements