Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is WXGA High-Definition?

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, this isn't strictly computer-related, but I'm sure somebody here can answer my question. I don't know much about HDTV, but I believe there are 2 HD resolutions: 1280x720 and 1920x1080. WXGA screens are 1366x768, which is a higher resolution that the first HD one, so is WXGA classed as HD as well?
Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Resolution or pixel-count alone does not make the picture HD as in HDTV. Other factors must come into play, most notably the number of horizontal lines which is currently 1080 for true HDTV reception.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
At the moment I do not have any HD input sources. Will I see any improvement with a WXGA or HD TV?
What resolution is standard definition TV broadcast in anyway - 640x480? If so, what is the point of WXGA TVs, if they do not support HD, and offer no improvement with the standard resolution?

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Same post got posted twice for some reason.

Edited by tomdrayson, 03 January 2007 - 02:46 PM.