Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any benefit from DVI over RGB/VGA?

• Please log in to reply

RoninPedroshin

RoninPedroshin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,

I've recently thought if it would make any difference to image quality if I used the DVI input of my Samsung LCD (SyncMaster 172x) instead of the RGB input. I have a Club3D 7800 GT, which only has a DVI output, but it came with a DVI to RGB adapter, which basically allowed me to use a RGB cable to connect it to the RGB input in the LCD.

The image quality in games always seemed great to me and I really don't know if it would make a difference to go from Analog to Digital. What do you think? It would be great if someone could show me 2 photos of a monitor displaying a game in DVI and RGB so I could see if there was really any substantial difference.

Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The main difference is not so much image quality. The DVI cable is capable of carrying a lot more information at one time. So using it may reduce the "choppiness" of some games at higher resolutions.

RoninPedroshin

RoninPedroshin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for replying!

What do you mean with the "choppiness"? FPS, Stuttering or Tearing?

Thanks!

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've seen, on a 22 inch LCD running at pretty high resolution, where in a game, the top half of the video would seem to update, then the bottom half, rather then the whole screen updating as one smooth unit.

Switching from the VGA cable to the DVI cable totally solved that problem, after we checked pretty much everything else.