Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with User Accounts, passwords...etc.

• Please log in to reply

jimg1212

jimg1212

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay... In my haste yesterday, I was password protecting my computer and added a user name and password with admin priviledges... In the process, I lost access to the default user info that I had been using until yesterday... I lost all the desktop settings, I can't access the folder that says "Administrator's Documents", Can't get in to Outlook Express where I have E-mail stored since forever, Can't get into quicken...

Is there a way to regain access to this account? I didn't DELETE the user, I created a new user... I tried switching users but it doesn't give me an option to log in as "Administrator" My new username has administrator priviledges, I just need to get access to all that old stuff...

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Had you been using the default "Administrator" account?

If so, try this:
Boot into Safe Mode, where you'll have the "Administrator" user as one of the options.
Copy the user profile settings to your new user account (see Microsoft article 811151, scroll down to "Copy Files to New User Profile")

Then, change ownership of the Adminsitrator's folders. See Microsoft article 308418 for details.

Or you can simply copy all the files in Administrator's My Documents to your new user account's My Documents.

If this isn't what you need, please post back.

jimg1212

jimg1212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks! With the Holiday I haven't have time to fully explore the response and try everything, but just the tip on logging in to the administrator account in safe mode was immediately helpful...:whistling: