Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stays on log on screen too long

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,
i use windows xp sp2. recently the computer is hanging on the log on screen too long after i input the password it didn't use to do that. i did disk clean up and defregmented the hard drive. any other suggestions as to why?

thanks

Advertisements

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
anyone?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you add any programs lately? If you have many programs running in the background then upload can be lengthy. After bootup the computer usually works normally.

Go to: start > run > msconfig > startup. Uncheck everything that is not essential confirm and let the computer restart. When it boots up you will get a message. Check the box and confirm. Also, in the msconfig page choose Selective Srartup.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Easy explanation here.

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Try using AWC also.

http://www.majorgeek...Care_d4991.html

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,
my startup programs are very organizes. i haven't installed any new programs. i'll try that software you recommended.
thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After you log in and the computer is ready for use, is it also slow or is it runnuing normally.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,
no change after using the software. could it have amything to do with the background intelegence running?
thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please refer to my previous post (no. 6). It is important to know if the computer is slow all the time or only during the process of logging in.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
the computer is not slow at all. the only problem is when logging in. as i mentined before the log on screen just stays too long and for some reason the entire loading of applications(only at start up) is slow. the application running at start up are: sygate firewall,kaspersky anivirus and counter spy. i havent mad any changes to my applications, the problem just started....that is why i cant understand why?
what do you think?
thanks

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
This helps speeding up startups.

http://www.pc-speed-...ws_startup.html

Advertisements

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
it was already set up to Y.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
i used bootvis to trace boot up. i cannot attach it here since the compressed file is 2.2M is there another way to send it. also in the analysis for the disk I/O it says warning: disk caching writing is disabled? not sure what to so with that one.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The hard disk is having a cache (buffer) memory that improves it's performance considerably. Modern disks usually have a buffer of 8 MB. By default writing to the buffer is enabled. In your case it is probably not. To check and enable: control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk mamagement > mark your system disk (c: in most cases) > action > all tasks > properties > policies > make sure that "writing caching on the disk" is checked. Confirm.

Another thing: start > run > msconfig > check selective startup. Apply

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
wirting caching on disk was checked enabled already as well as selective start up. is there another way to send you an attachment? it is 2.2 M and therefor too big.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
speak hebrew??