Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stays on log on screen too long

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
We have here a computer that runs generally well except for a long bootup time which started after dp2 was installed. We tried everything that I can think of without going into any drastic measures. No success so far.

Generally speaking sp2 is a very big collection of drivers, securuty and other updates and additions. It can heavilly influence older computers both in performance and compatability. So much so that I have seen computers with processors in the range of 1 Gb that slowed down or froze to such an extent that I had to remove sp2 and shut down windows updates. I consider sp2 and the other updates as very important and wouldn't recommend this step but in extreme cases.

Looks to me that you have somewhat of a similar effect. You can temporarilly uninstall sp2 through add/remove programs in control pannel. I do not recommend this because the uninstallation can end up messing other things and because of the importance of sp2. However, I made this a number of times, in most cases without ill effects. If you are willing to try - go ahead. Whatever the case, even If you find that it improves boot-up time I would reinstall it again.

Before taking any steps with sp2 please disable all antimalware programs that run in the background.

Advertisements

buster blader

buster blader

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
before u go ahead and do that have u tired bootvis - i agree that sp2 slows down startup considerably because am still trying to work around it to speed up my startup to its original speed before sp2

and are u sure u are not infected with a virus,adaware,trojan,or something

Edited by buster blader, 30 December 2006 - 12:09 PM.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
the only thing is that i have been running sp2 for 3 years or so and never had a problem. actually my startup and shut down was extremly fast while running the same programs that i am running now. as far as any virus,adware or trojan present i used my antivirus and my spyware software with no such results.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
From post 26 I understood that the problem worsened considerably after the installation of sp2.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
i had sp2 for a long time (about 3 years or so) then the problem started with a delay on logon screen for 15 sec. in the past month for some reason. i decided to format my laptop....in a sony laptop they dont give you the windows cd, there is an option of getting back to factory default, so thats what i did. the factory default os system is windows sp1. the problem was still there but wasnt anything serious maybe a 10sec delay. then after a week i upgraded to sp2 and then it got worse to the point where i am at right now where i have the logon screen for about 45 sec and then the image is displayed but no taskbar or desktop icon for about 35 sec. i hope that explained it a little more

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When I format a computer I install sp2 and updates immediately, before any other application. Like I said, sp2 can cause lots of problems that's why I install it on a clean computer. If you have a sp2 disk it's simple. If you have to download it from windows updates consider installing an antivirus first and disable it before you install the updates.

All that is relevant if you consider reformatting.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
i gave up and formated my laptop again. it seems to be working fine thanks for all you help guys. 'til next time