Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone help me make this site? Also what are the advantages of ht

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi,
Can someone with decent (doesn't have to be completely amazing!) HTML/Javascript knowledge help me make a new site either for free or semi-free (where you help for free and if there's something quite complicated I pay you a bit for the help).

Also, what are the advantages of PHP over HTML and vice versa?

Thanks,
Dom

PS What's joomla, is it easy to install and what types of site is it good/bad for?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I could help you create it if you like, not write it but help you with it, you will be better of in the long run that way. If you decide so there is the Donate link in my sig

joomla is a content management system. You could call a blog a type of content management system. It helps you control the content of your site, instead of having lots of html pages to keep track of.

Asking what the advantages of PHP over HTML shows you don't understand what PHP is. PHP is a programing language the runs on the web server for the purpose of generating HTML as the pages are requested. It is normally combined with a database system like MySql, which is exactly what GeeksToGo does. So basically PHP makes HTML.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

I could help you create it if you like, not write it but help you with it, you will be better of in the long run that way. If you decide so there is the Donate link in my sig

joomla is a content management system. You could call a blog a type of content management system. It helps you control the content of your site, instead of having lots of html pages to keep track of.

Asking what the advantages of PHP over HTML shows you don't understand what PHP is. PHP is a programing language the runs on the web server for the purpose of generating HTML as the pages are requested. It is normally combined with a database system like MySql, which is exactly what GeeksToGo does. So basically PHP makes HTML.

Thanks,
I would very much like you to help me. Would you be able to help me over MSN or not?
And yes, I wouldn't mind doing the writing, I just need help... lol

I do know roughly what PHP is but what I meant to say was:
What are the advantages of PHP over RAW HTML.

Because with PHP it (seems) harder to code BUT it's easier to change multiple pages (apparently)...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
What is wrong with here, or live chat (green link up the top, I have that open when I have the computer on). Help is what we are here for.

Well there is lots you can do, from decreasing maintainance, such such as putting every thing but the content in other files and adding them in when the page is requested. Or just the use full, such as web form processing. Or Dynamic pages, page that change deepening on variables, often using a data base to pull information from.

You can generate any type of text file with PHP such as RSS/Atom feeds. Or even images. So there is a lot you can do with PHP once you learn how.