Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE7 and GeekstoGo

• Please log in to reply

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Here's a real stumper for you.

For some reason or another IE7 doesn't like GTG. I can go to any other site except for GTG with no problems at all. When I load GTG, my CPU usage increases exponentially within seconds. It renders my computer useless if I have 2 or more tabs open. Here is some evidence/examples for you:

IE7 open to GTG on Vista with 1 tab open:

GTG_CPU_on_Vista_with_one_tab.jpg

IE7 open to GTG on Vista with 2 tabs open:

GTG_CPU_on_Vista_with_2_tabs.jpg

IE7 open to GTG on Vista with 3 tabs open:

GTG_CPU_on_Vista_with_3_tabs.jpg

At this point the pc is nothing more than a paper weight. I can't do anything with it!

When I noticed this happening I was running on the Vista partition. I thought maybe it was a problem specific to Vista and IE7. Wrong! These were taken on XP Pro with IE7:

IE7 open to GTG on XP with 1 tab open:

GTG_CPU_on_XP_with_one_tab.jpg

IE7 open to GTG on XP with 2 tabs open:

GTG_CPU_on_XP_with_2_tabs_.jpg

IE7 open to GTG on XP with 3 tabs open:

GTG_CPU_on_XP_with_3_tabs.jpg

Once again the PC is useless until I close GTG.

I did further tests to see if the same thing would happen on any other forums or sites. I tried on several sites; TSG, CatleCops and SWI. I have no problem at all at any of these sites. I can open 5 or 6 tabs without elevating the CPU usage level to anywhere near those critical levels. Here is a screenshot of TSG with 4 tabs open in IE7 on XP:

TSG_CPU_with_4_tabs.jpg

The only time the CPU usage increases that much on any of those sites is when the page is first loading. Once it has loaded, the CPU usage isn't even noticable.

I tried another test using pages that load a lot of graphics and javascripts etc... This shot is on XP IE7 open to ABC.com, CBS.com, NBC.com, Fox.com and NFL.com (5 tabs):

CPU_with_5_tabs_open_to_CBS_NBC_ABC_Fox_and_NFL.jpg

Finally here is Firefox loaded to GTG with 5 tabs open:

GTG_CPU_on_Firefox_with_5_tabs.jpg

As you can see, it is fine in Firefox.

I have no idea what's going on. I've tried shutting down firewall, AV, Outlook and anything you can think of to no avail. Has anyone else seen this behavior reported or experienced it before?

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Turn off javascript and see if the problem persists. As Johanna said in the staff room, it could be those blasted snow flakes :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
On my Vista machine, I start having that problem after loading 4 tabs (all G2G) with IE7. 5 tabs and it goes to 90%+. Firefox is fine...no problem at all.
ie7prob.png
ie7prob2.png

On my XP machine, any more than two IE7 tabs open and it goes to 100% and stays there. Again, Firefox is fine.

I would be leaning toward the way IE7 handles java, too. I'll play with this a bit when I get a little more time.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Thanks guys. I'll play around with it more tomorrow after work.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Did some testing and I could duplicate it on a Vista machine with IE7. Removed the snow flakes, and now it'sno problem. IE7 wasn't handling the Java script used to create the snow properly. It's midnight on the East coast so I'll just leave our usual header. :whistling:

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
It was indeed the snowflakes:

4_tabs_open.jpg

That was with four tabs open! :whistling: