Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic host process error - no sound

• Please log in to reply

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Running XP SP1. I loaded up bf2, and it crashed, forcing me to restart my computer manually. After i load back up again, it got that error that said 'generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem..." and then i lost my sound.

The message has only popped up once, so i can't read what it said. I have no sound, and reinstalling the sound blaster drivers did not help.

What do i do?

Edited by SuperTyphoon, 24 December 2006 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bump

paulinspain

paulinspain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi,
I have had this too, since I updated my sound drivers, it is driving me mad. Have checked many sites some say its a Blaster Virus but which one I cant be sure. Others surgest installing XP AutoPatcher http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=486480, which I'm downloading right now, but I wont install untill some one here like "Grumpy old Bloke" tells me to. These guys have helped me out befor & they are red hot. Lets see if they pick up on this thread shall we. Otherwise let me know what you come up with.
paulinspain

tomhardy

tomhardy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Over the past few weeks I have been plagued with a Generic Host Error, whilst online using a dial-up connection. Windows popped up the warning, (Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience…), shortly afterwards, my internet connection froze – and ‘disconnect’ didn’t work. I could only redial after a reboot – and then, usually within a few minutes, I got the same error again. Hugely frustrating!

After trawling the forums, (for days!), I came up with the following. I’m still not sure what is going on here – thoughts vary from dodgy printer drivers to online attacks, from Windows Image Acquisition to open ports exploited by ‘worms’ or ‘malware’ – plus countless other theories!

Thanks to all the forum contributors – here’s what worked for me on Windows XP SP2. If you are still running Windows XP without SP2, most pundits recommend that you do not install SP2 until you are adware, malware, spyware & virus free.

Assuming you are running SP2, ensure Windows firewall is active, then connect to the internet to download:

· Crap Cleaner www.cleaner.com
· Firewall Leak Tester www.firewallleaktester.com/tools/wwdc.exe
· Spybot Search & Destroy www.spybot.com
· AVG Free www.grisoft.com
· Ad-Aware SE Personal www.lavasoft.com
· Microsoft Hotfix support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
· Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

After downloading, disconnect from the internet

As this problem is closely linked to the activities of Windows file svchost.exe, you may like to use Windows Explorer to search for this file – the only valid version should be in the windows\system32 folder.

Then: -

- Install Microsoft Hotfix 894391
- Run Malicious Software Removal Tool
- Run Firewall Leak Tester – close open ports and reboot
- Install & Run Crap Cleaner to remove temporary/junk files
- Install Spybot Search & Destroy, connect to the internet and update Spybot files
- Reboot into Safe Mode
- Run Spybot scan and reboot
- Install Ad-Aware, connect to the internet and update file definitions
- Reboot into Safe Mode
- Run Ad-Aware scan
- Reboot
- Install Grisoft’s AVG Free, connect to the internet and update the virus definitions
- Run AVG Free
- Connect to Microsoft Update to install the latest critical updates (including SP2 if not already installed)
- Check that your firewall and security software is active

And that’s it. As I say, it worked for me – (touch wood) my internet connection is solid and no more ‘freeze ups’. Of course it may not work for you. As a final note – be very careful about which security software you use. I believe that all of the above are fine but there are many programs out there which claim to fix registry errors; they scan your system and totally exaggerate the threats. Then of course, you have to pay to activate the cleanup part of the program.

Best of luck – this particular problem drove me up the wall for weeks!

Regards

tomhardy