Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pctv vision

• Please log in to reply

angelslacker

angelslacker

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
*is the right section for this... if not, sorry.

i have a tv tuner/pctv vision & whenever i record tv shows the audio is not in sync (at the same time) with the video... can someone help me out?!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This problem depends on a lot of factors. It's a common problem having audio out of sync with the video. Software, drivers, audio/video codecs may need updating, too many processes may be running with the app you're using, etc.

Don't know if you are using Pinnacle's PCTV PRO or not, but a lot of people don't have favorable results with this software. I don't have any on my PC so can't give you any definate solutions other than ensure you have the latest drivers/codecs and see if you can cut down on your running processes which may be sapping memory.

Ron

angelslacker

angelslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanks for your reply.

but how do i do that exaclty?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are a lot of steps involved and to be on the safe side and, since I don't use Win XP, please read these first :

Startup Processes for Win XP by oftentired (4th post down) and
Startup Applications.

Also, forgot to ask if you use a high-speed connection.

Have you tried changing some of the setup parameters to see if they would help? Don't think I'm being too much help here.

R.

angelslacker

angelslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
^ no i'm not using a high speed connection; but does it matter because i use pctv offline?! & yes, I have tried different settings for it but unfortunately i'm getting same results as before.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Guesstimates :

If you have no A/V sync problems when capturing using the tuner, the only difference is the audio source/route.

How do you have the audio connected ?

When you use the PCTV tuner, you have coaxial input (which carries both audio and video signals). Then do you have the audio-out from the PCTV Pro card to the sound card ? (using either internal or external connector) ?

When you use the PCTV Line-In, you have composite to the line-in (which carries only video). So now for the audio do you have that connected to the external Line-In on your sound card ?

I would double check where the audio goes for each setting, and double check all your sound card settings.

Try a capture with hardware acceleration off. Try a capture with different sample rates. (these settings are in the multimedia section of Control Panel). Also check what inputs are setup as recordable.

Second issue is the audio codec you choose. Although as you can capture fine when using the tuner this may indicate the codec is not the problem. But to rule it out. try a capture using PCM Wave. (this is uncompressed wave).

If when you are capturing, the software reports no frame drops, then it must think the a/v streams are in sync. but as they are not this variation maybe caused by the audio compression.

Normally when the video stream gets ahead of the audio, the capture software starts dropping frames in order to help the audio catch up, but if you're getting no frame drops, either the software is stupid or the software is not detecting any a/v sync issues. Are you getting any frame drops reported during capturing ?

R.