Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft office

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok. This is not a post of a problem or issue with my computer, I'm just looking for a FREE word processing program as good or at least close to it as Microsoft office/word. My wife said I'd NEVER FIND a FREE word processing program anywhere as good as Microsoft office / word, online or anywhere. Can anyone help me make her eat her WORDs? :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Open Office is free and quite good. You can find is at openoffice.org.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I agree with LindaGail...OpenOffice is pretty close and is absolutely free.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Many thanks to LindaGail and wannabe1 for your feedback. As usual, Geeks to Go is the most informative and helpful site on the internet. Thanks again! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is presently free if you can register here first

http://www.avanquest...vquk_so0506.cfm

Note, ignore the ‘time limited demo’ reference

Download here

http://www.vnunet.co.../sun-staroffice

StarOffice can import Word .DOC, Excel .XLS and PowerPoint .PPT files into its own word processor, spreadsheet and presentation packages. And there's support for reading all kinds of other document and graphics formats, too: dBase (dBF), SYLK (slk), Lotus 1-2-3 (wks), AutoCAD (DXF), MathML (mml) are just some of the more unexpected examples.

The suite also includes a simple HTML editor and drawing program. And there's a database component within most applications, which lets you (for example) connect to a data source, then build queries to populate a spreadsheet. Plenty of features, then, but strong integration makes the program particularly easy to use. Click File > New in the spreadsheet, say, and you can create a text or HTML document, graphic or presentation, without having to open another application.

Working with individual documents is very straightforward. If you're used to Office, then you'll feel at home right away, as the menu structures are quite similar. Applications like the StarOffice Spreadsheet provide all the functions and formulae you need, so you'll be quickly producing useful documents with just a few minutes of exploration.

And the benefits don't stop there. When you've finished work, StarOffice lets you save any document in Adobe's PDF format, something Microsoft Office still can't manage without help. And graphics or presentations can alternatively be exported as Macromedia Flash (SWF) files, very useful if you need to develop web animations, and a feature that could justify installing StarOffice all on its own.