Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer keep turning off, and a blue screen says there is somethin

• Please log in to reply

Empion

Empion

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Computer Version: Window XP Home Edition, SP2(up to date)
Basic Info: 512RAM, 2.8GHz
:blink: I'm don't know what for sure happened, but it's probably because of the new graphic card hardware(e-Geforce 6200) I installed previously. I installed it long ago, before I recovered my computer, it never turn off suddently, then a blue screen appeared. My computer just turn off recently after I recover my computer recover. When it turn off, a blue screen appeared and tell me to do the following
[[Run system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. Inparticualr, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatch memory. Try changing video adapters.]]
I have no idea to do what it says. How do I run the diagnostic test, most importantly how do I solve my problem :whistling:
Notice: I uncheck the button that force my computer to turn off when there is a error. :help:

Edited by Empion, 23 December 2006 - 09:24 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is your card a 128 or 256 card? You can download the most current drivers here.

In case it is the memory, you can download memtest to test it.

Click here for a guide to using memtest.

Click here to download memtest.

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It's 256, but when i click on it....for Graphic Crads-->Geforce-->Window XP. It says [[Adds support for NVIDIA Quad SLI, GeForce 7600 GS AGP and GeForce 7100 GS.]] Does it support my graphic card? I doubt it's my memory, so i'm focusing on teh graphic card for now. If not, which selections should I choose? This is teh website with the selection "http://www.evga.com/...s/Default.asp".

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hm...for memory download, How do I know which oen to pick to test my memory?

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
From the website you gave me these are the info I must download, but which one
For Linux, please go to http://www.x86-secret.com

For USB Flash drive, please go to http://www.x86-secret.com
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
For your graphics card: http://www.evga.com/...lt.asp?switch=2
From this link, the driver is version 93.71 (evga recommended download)

For memtest:
Decide how you want to boot and run the test, either from CD or floppy disk. Then download the appropriate file.

If you have a burner, download the pre-compiled bootable ISO, then follow the instructions in the guide (from Post#2) to burn the image to CD. If you want to create the bootable floppy, download the pre-compiled package for floppy (DOS-Windows). Once you unzip the file, browse the readme.txt file for further instructions on creating the bootable floppy.

The files are compressed, so you'll need an extractor (unzip) program like Winzip (winzip.com) or Zip Genius. I switched to Zip Genius about 2 years ago. You can download it here: http://www.zipgenius...eng/?page_id=12

Hope this helps.

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I read the entire instruction for memory test this time. Look I have to do the test ovrenight. Now, when I click on the link you gave me to download, it says no driver found. I don't see the data you told me(version 93.71).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click graphics driver / geforce / XP / click Go

http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

Download and save the new drivers before uninstalling the current ones

Driver Installation Hints

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
How do I disable "download accelerator"? By the way, My computer only crash when I am browsing internet...watching Youtube and stuff. However, when I play games, the computer never crash unexpectedlyDoes that hint you at the problem I have? Or it's just useless.
THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS A LOT & MERRY CHRISTMAS

Edited by Empion, 24 December 2006 - 01:28 PM.

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I crashing again. It's crashing more and more often now!!! Here is some more info I wrote down.
[[Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000)]]

Edited by Empion, 24 December 2006 - 06:57 PM.

Advertisements

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Everytime i tried to download the upgrade for my Graphic card, my computer crash, so I never finish the update. Any tips? Anything else I should do?

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Wow i post a lot huh. Sorry if I post too much. I just want to say that i realized when i have a porgram running like itune, games...etc(not browsers) my computer doesn't crash, so i turn on my itune and download the new update for my vidoe game card, and teh computer didn't crash. Well let see what happen. If the computer going to crash, I have to test the memory, which seem to be very bothersome. Thanks guys.
Nghia

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
No problem at all. I'm glad you got the graphics drivers downloaded!

Look at Microsoft article 137539 regarding "STOP 0x0000007F" errors. Since your specific stop error could be failing memory, please do take time to run memtest. Be sure to post back with the results of the memtest.

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well my theory was wrong. My computer just crash on me when I played games. I guess it's more serious than I though. Anyway Is ettsing for memory and RAM the same. According to the article you gave me, it sugessted that I do this
[[Test the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer. Replace any RAM that is reported as bad. Also, make sure that all the RAM in the computer is the same speed.]]
And how to I test for RAM?
Nghia

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use memtest from post 2