Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taskbar troubles + Slow Startup (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
WOW. You have to have ALOT of icons down by your clock. Click the arrow pointing to the left so that you can see all the icons there. Count them and post that number back to me. Also, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager and click on the PERFORMANCE tab and tell me what your average CPU USAGE is. Just keep the window open for about a minute or so and just make a mental note of what the average % is.

Fenor

Advertisements

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
NOD32 looks great, I think I'd go with it if I can't get NIS working... Or I could go back to NAV, which I still have. I can't get Sygate anymore because it was acquired by Symantec a few months back. Kerio seems decent, except I'm not liking the prospect of paying for more antivirus/firewall software! Ugh, the cycle never ends.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Kerio is free...

Fenor

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
13 icons, 90 running processes, and an avg CPU usage of about 15%

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, don't fall into the belief that something is only good if you have to pay for it. Yes, for alot of things that is true, but when it comes to A/V and Firewall, that is not the case! AVG is great and free. AVAST! is another that is great and free as well...

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 December 2006 - 11:10 PM.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Kerio is free...

Fenor

Oops, my bad. It said "Purchace" at the top, but you could download it

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah, I should be more acceptive. I just live by that whole "You get what you pay for" mantra. I guess it doesn't always apply.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

13 icons, 90 running processes, and an avg CPU usage of about 15%

That is not good at all. Your CPU should idle around 0-3%. Give me a little bit and I will tell you what you can disable from starting up when your computer does. That's alot of items so it will take me a bit. Please heed my advice and click the LIVE CHAT! link at the top right of this page so we can talk in real time and help you alot easier and quicker.

Fenor

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I can't enable Live Chat on this machine. Does Live Chat work in Mozilla Firefox?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have Java installed it will work in Firefox.

Fenor

Advertisements

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, I forgot about the simplest method, bring the laptop to the other computer. I'll be in live chat now.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, I got NIS and all other Norton related products uninstalled, Avast! Antivirus installed on a 1 year home use, Kerio WinRoute Firewall 6 installed, but my taskbar is still missing. It only comes back if I open WMP then minimize it, but I'm still having the same problem.

Also, I can only get a 1 month trial period of Kerio, and I need something longer lasting than that...

On the plus side, my computer starts up faster :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad your computer is at least faster. How is the CPU usage average? Number of processes running now?

As it is X-Mas eve, I most likely will not get to this topic again until either tomorrow night or Tuesday. Hope you have a good holiday!

Fenor

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, if I could see my taskbar, I could tell you how many icons there are, but I can't. And nothing will raise it. 76 processes are running at an avg CPU of 3%, spiking to 10% every 10 sec or so.

And I didn't expect you to be on over Christmas. I really appreciate all the help you've given me. I think I might try a regular boot to see if that helps with the taskbar issue. Of course, I'd write down the changes made before hand so I can go back at any time. There was also one article on the Microsoft Support Database that I might try, although t requires Registry editing...

None the less, thank you.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, I do believe I've solved the problem. I think my problem stemmed from a corrupted user file. So all I had to do was make a new user account for myself. I got all my stuff transferred over, and now it works fine.

And Fenor, thank you for helping me tune my PC. It runs nice and fast now, just like when I got it.