Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successf

• Please log in to reply

almost_impossible

almost_impossible

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, right now I'm on my actual computer but last night I was using my laptop and this morning when I turned it on this happened:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.

When I tried all of the options it started up and came back to the same screen each time.
I'm thinking this has happened because I pulled my battery out last night instead of turning the computer of properly.

Help is very muchly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi almost_impossible...

Do you have an XP installation cd? We may be able to resolve this using Recovery Console.

wannabe1

almost_impossible

almost_impossible

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes actually I do

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool...let's do it.

Boot to the cd (press a key when prompted)

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R

The screen will switch to black and you will be asked which installation to log on to. If you only have one installation you will press 1

Next you'll be prompted to enter your Admin password. By default it is created blank so just press Enter

At the C:\WINDOWS> command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter

You may be told the volume is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot...type Y and press Enter

If the machine does not automatically reboot, type exit and press Enter

If the machine does automatically reboot, you will likely have to run the exit command once the check completes.

Either way, this should get you back into Windows. This is a long procedure and may appear to hang or even back up a time or two depending on what it finds...be patient, let it finish. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this.

Let me know if this helps or if you run into problems.

almost_impossible

almost_impossible

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks so far the procedure is working I'm just up to doing the chkdsk /r part and yeah thanks again I will reply if all works/ anything happens and yeah.