Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Missing

• Please log in to reply

liweilun

liweilun

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

A previously available IDE HDD in my desktop is now unavailable. It's installed as a slave on the Primary IDE channel. I've checked both Computer Management and the BIOS -- it's no where to be found. I've also confirm the drive is definately spinning.

BTW, when the pc boots the intial screen seems takes a little longer than it used to. It happens while the pc is trying to detect the IDE devices, but I'm guessing it's taking longer because it' having difficulty with the HDD.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
if the drive isn't being seen by the BIOS, Windows isn't going to see it either.

Assuming the BIOS is set up to look for the drive (most modern BIOSes look for drives on all ports by default) and doesn't find it, it usually means the drive is on the way out. Just because its spinning doesn't mean its readable, all it means is that the motor is working.

liweilun

liweilun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any suggestions on how I could help coax it back to life. Or at least enough to grab the data off of it?

Thanks.

Edited by liweilun, 25 December 2006 - 08:05 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The ways are plenty. The success methods are not always successful; it depends on how the drive is screwed up and whether the bit of the drive that is screwed up is the bit that translates the data signals.

From what you've said to date, it sounds possibly like a firmware failure - the brains of the drive. The power circuits are working (as its spinning) but its basically brain dead.

Some people swear by putting the drive in the freezer overnight, but again it depends whats actually wrong, and a physical failure inside the drive won't be fixed in sub-zero temperatures.

Google "hard drive resurrection" and see what you find.