Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

mattman814

mattman814

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Dell Latitude D820
XPpro sp2
Linksys WRT54G - WEP enabled

This is a new laptop. I have it set(from what I can see) exactly like my old latitude that was using all the same networks.
The card sees the network and claims excellent signal strength. For whatever reason my router is unable to set an IP. It sends some packets but never receives any. Here's my ipconfig info:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\mmiller.GONZALEZ-GROUP>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.190.28
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I can connect through ethernet no problem.
I use this card at work utilizing both a WEP enabeld network and an OPEN network, no problem.
I have it set to obtain adress etc. (per Space Cowboy's wirelss setup instructions) though I did try and set it manually using:
IP 192.168.1.109
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1
The only difference that makes is the card status that pops up says its connected but it's really not. Can't get on internet nor is it receiving any packets.
I've tried Winsockfix.exe
I've tried turning off the router for a few minutes then rebooting.
I've tried removing the wireless network then finding it again, putting in wep key again. No help.
The card is set for channel 11, though I've also tried 1 & 6.
I have a desktop on this network using a linksys wireless adapter with no problem.

Y'all got any idears?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have you tried disabling the Ethernet connection so the wireless is the only choice for a connection?

mattman814

mattman814

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes. It makes no difference.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Is the device installed properly? go to start, rihgt click on My Computer and select manage. On the left click on Device manager. go to network adapters. If the wireless card has a yellow "!" then the driver needs to be reinstalled. If not a driver issue, right click on the wireless card and click uninstall it then restart the PC.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Hmm...try removing the encryption from your home router, just to see if it's an encryption related issue. If so, we can troubleshoot it that way.

Since you can use it at work with no trouble, on both encrypted and unencrypted networks, it is unlikely that the laptop itself is the problem. Since you've tried different channels, it's unlikely that this is an encryption issue.

mattman814

mattman814

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Is the device installed properly? go to start, rihgt click on My Computer and select manage. On the left click on Device manager. go to network adapters. If the wireless card has a yellow "!" then the driver needs to be reinstalled. If not a driver issue, right click on the wireless card and click uninstall it then restart the PC.

Yep, the device is installed properly. I tried unintalling the card. When I restart the PC finds the card goes right back where I was.

Kurenai wrote: Hmm...try removing the encryption from your home router, just to see if it's an encryption related issue. If so, we can troubleshoot it that way.

I will try this shortly...I have to switch computers as I'm on a wireless connection right now and I'm not sure if I'll lose contact with my router configuration.

mattman814

mattman814

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK!
I removed the wep security and connected immediately. Then I re-enabled the WEP security and was able to re-connect. Thanks for the idea Kurenai. When I re-enabled the WEP the keys came up exactly as they were, even after re-generating. So I figured I was right back where I started but it connected right away - kinda how I thought it should've in the first place :whistling:
Thanks to all.