Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error message-could not find the file "flash.ocx"

• Please log in to reply

Jim45

Jim45

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
About 2 weeks ago I started getting this little error message window coming up on my screen that says: could not find the file "flash.ocx". Well, not long before that started happening, I had updated my Adobe flash, so I figured it just had a glitch, so I uninstalled it, restarted, then reinstalled it, and it still came up. And it shows up after the computer has been sitting idle for a few minutes. I did some investigating through Google, and found a few message boards with discussions concerning this same thing, with people suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling the flash player, and everyone getting the same results......no change. Then, I found a message board where a person said it started after installing a screensaver, and another person suggested switching to one of the windows screensavers to see if it stopped the message from coming up, and the person said it did. I tried this, and it worked for me also. The funny thing is, I've had this screensaver for about 3 years, and this has never happened. I tried getting another screensaver from the same source, thinking it was just that particular screensaver being corrupt, or expired, or something, and I get the same thing. There has to be a solution to this, does anyone have an idea what it is? Oh, and the file "flash.ocx" is on my computer, if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well it may not have been a problem before, but as I'm sure you know, Flash is updated frequently. So where they may have been compatible before, an update or newer version of Flash has 'broken' that compatibility.

It's also no co-incidence that the problem has arisen roughly since Adobe took over Flash development from Macromedia. I venture to guess that Adobe's modifications have somehow caused this problem for you.

On the subject of screensavers generally, they are largely unecessary these days. I regard them as a waste of a PCs resources and would rather do something productive with my little powerhouse. Whenever I re-install Windows, the screensaver is one of the first things I disable.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Thank you,but I ended up finding the solution, and it's an easy one, so if anyone else is having this problem, check out this page
http://forums1.itrc....553855 28353475

Edited by Jim45, 24 December 2006 - 02:38 PM.