Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card problems

• Please log in to reply

West

West

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, guys I'm new and here is my problem.

I have a Nvidia geforce 420 mx video card. About 6 or so months ago I started getting a blinking screen while messing around on the desktop. After messing around somehow I managed to make it so my taskbar would not show while using the video card. I have had to return to using the default that comes with the computer in order to play simple games, but I am no longer able to play more advanced ones like WoW or Wc3. I have tried reinstalling drivers, but that does nothing, and right now the only thing I can think of is entirely wiping my computer somehow which I really do not wish to do.

If there is any other information I can add for you guys to help me I will. Thanks.

Advertisements

West

West

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Merry Christmas and here is an update.

After uninstalling my drivers and installing again the brand new one I have my taskbar back, but I am having to use the regular monitor video card and not my nvidia 420. I have tried going to Display propeties and using the geforce card as my primary monitor, but that doesn't work at all. I tried playing WoW, and it actually played, but it I was playing without hte use of a video card, so I couldn't play long.

West

West

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If I went to device manager and deleted the geforce and maybe one of the monitors would it help? I'm thinking I could reinstall it or something.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
it could definately be that your video card has died and it might be a good idea to look into getting a new one you can find a cheap one for under a 100

West

West

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Video cards can die? :whistling: When I uninstall my drivers it asks to put in the default files for windows xp home edition, so I'm trying to get my disk to restore those files. I'm hoping that if those files are restored to default and I do it again it will work. Probably won't though.

Edited by West, 25 December 2006 - 06:19 PM.

West

West

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got my monitor to work with my video card, but I am still having a blinking black screen when loading different apps. I also had a STOP 0x0000007F error. I also tried playing World of Warcraft, but many things had distorted colors and game play was hardly possible due to the discoloration.

RegorTheGreat

RegorTheGreat

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
video cards can die. Video cards also have dedicated memory on the board which goes bad sometimes as well. That could be the cause of your problems. Either way, you would have to replace the video card completely. You can run a test on the video card if you want to be sure. Try PassMark burnin test. It will run a video test as well as many others at the same time.

West

West

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah I finally fixed it and installed a Radeon 7500. But now I can't see my taskbar. Any ideas?

RegorTheGreat

RegorTheGreat

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
that all depends on how you hid your taskbar. If it is the video card that is controlling it (which is unusual), the best way I can think of to start clean with the settings would be to uninstall the video card drivers to see if the taskbar comes back, then reinstall the video drivers clean / or you can try to hit F8 at boot and try to load windows in VGA Mode (which may be easier for quick troubleshooting).
If windows settings are controlling the taskbar (which is the usual way), it won't matter what you do with the video card settings, or drivers, to get it back. It may be as simple as dragging (expanding) the size of the taskbar from just a little blue line, to whichever size you want. There may be a settings that has disabled the taskbar.
Here is a tool I found really quick that may help you. You may want to try this first. I have not used this before, so I am unsure about it.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
It appears to be a small program to configure windows settings to modify the taskbar.