Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Video

• Please log in to reply

iainauld

iainauld

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Dell 4100 with Windows ME. Using latest version of AOL system froze when online using dsl. Booted system, saw Dell and ME signon OK on monitor but start then went to single image line at top of sceen unreadable. Have tried emergency boot, regular boot and ME reload...no success. Advised is probably video drivers?
Tried alternate monitor same results. Stumped.
Using company laptop which is NT to contact.
Any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
laptop? LCD?

First, can you boot into safemode. If you can, we can perhaps rule out the scariest prospect...hardware failure (which is what it sounds like) :tazz:

iainauld

iainauld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Desktop.

Thanks for reply.

Only thing I can get on my monitor is Dell 4100 setup, DELL logo and Windows ME loading screen then blank and when disc stops for startup a single line on monitor. That's why I think it's the video driver software!!
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you boot into safe mode? Is this a flat panel monitor?

Did someone alter your screen resolution?

You can load into safe mode, then delete the Display adapter, and allow windows to rediscover it on boot up

iainauld

iainauld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No did not......No Dell UltraScan color Monitor.

Not to my knowledge.

No, get full screen for Windows ME, press F8 and nothing. eventually loads something on monitor but onsows approx. !/2" in color rest blank.
Seems I need keyboard commands versus display and mouse.

Thanks for interest.
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you have a second computer you can test this monitor on? It sounds more monitor than windows or video problem....monitor issues tend to have the weirdest symptoms...

You know....has anyone taken a magnet near this thing? Do you know how to degauss your monitor. MOdern monitors degauss at each turn on, but older ones have to be manually degaussed

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I can do you one better. Degrade to 98 or upgrade to XP. ME isn't that great of a deal. I experienced many problems with it.

The Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Dern I tried to edit my post but this option isn't available.

If your monitor is giving you that much trouble. Then Fix-it Utilities is a very nice diagnostics program.

iainauld

iainauld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How do you load with no video capability.

Monitor totally checked...it is not the problem.

How do I load,reload dell drivers for video without monitor? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
asked already and not answered

Did you boot into safe mode?

if you can seee dell splash and me logo, you should be able to boot to safe mode where you can load a driver