Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to upgrade my Video Card

• Please log in to reply

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I'm wanting to upgrade my video card, but I'm clueless on where to start. I don't what cards are compatible with what computers, etc. I don't want a top of the line, something around $200.

Right now I have the stock Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller that came with the Dell when I got it last christmas. It's not as bad as it sounds, I'm just ready to move on.

Any advice?

Advertisements

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
GeForce 7600 to the 7900 video card would work just fine.IMO.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It depends on what model motherboard you have as to what you can upgrade to in graphics cards. You need to look at the slot closest to the CPU and find out what kind of slot it is.

Here is a picture of three kinds of slots you may have.

http://www.viaarena......_PCIe 028.jpg

It depends on what kind of slot you have as to what kind of card you can use. The worst you can have is the PCI slots which are the white ones in the picture. These will give you the lowest quality graphics card's which are only slightly better than the on-board graphics. Next up is the AGP graphics card which is the shorter of the 2 black slots in the picture. AGP graphics cards are usually 8 times faster than PCI cards. The best is the PCI-E cards which are 16 times faster than PCI and are the longer black slot in the picture. Find what you have and then look up the cards on Newegg.com. Buy the best card you can afford .

http://www.newegg.co...ame=Video-Cards

SRX660