Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing

• Please log in to reply

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
My computer crashes whenever I run certain applications. Right now, I'm encountering problems trying to run Teamspeak. Whenever I try to run Teamspeak, my computer immediately goes to a blue screen then resets. The blue screen doesn't last for more than a second so I can't read what it says. A couple months ago, this same thing happened with Warcraft (but it somehow cleared up when I used a different CD to load). My computer also crashes when I'm watching various videos, but not always.

I've run some virus scanners and they haven't really found anything.

I'm wondering if my hard drive is messed up somehow. (Though my computer isn't more than a year old.)

There's a very slight dent on the heatsink, but I don't think my computer is overheating because it doesn't crash on CPU intense programs, just certain specific ones (like Teamspeak).

I also noticed that when I try to watch a DVD, the picture skips around a lot. Meaning it'll show 1 frame a second or something. The sound comes out perfectly fine, but the picture gets messed up.

I tried tinkering with the video card once. I tried pulling it straight out but that didn't work so I just pressed it back in and gave up.

I'm not sure what other information I can give but if anybody could help me, that'd be great.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked for updated video card software

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
My video card is up to date.

Also, maybe this will help you, two processes on my computer will sometimes take up roughly 50% of my CPU speed.

WZCSLDR.exe (this usually gets weird after my computer has been on for a long time)

svchost.exe (this rarely uses that much CPU)

EDIT: After my computer recovers from the crash I get this message asking if I want to send the crash details to Microsoft. Well I did this time and it gave me some details about what happened.

---

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Problem report summary

Problem type

Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?

No

What does this problem mean?

Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause

Unknown

Computer symptoms

A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Edited by MorningRayn, 25 December 2006 - 02:41 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Key
Startup Name
Process Name
Details

?
ANIWZCSService
WZCSLDR.exe
D-Link wireless PCI adapter related. In some cases reported to cause excessive CPU activity.

http://www.3davenue....WZCSLDR.exe.php

You could check the network adapter software, update or re-install

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I re-installed it but that doesn't help my crashing issue. I'm wondering if maybe my video card is the culprit. I could test it by using a different video card. How do I properly remove and install a video card? :/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Text versions

http://www.sacsupport.com/subpage.html

http://www.smartcomp...r...2.asp&guid=

Comprehensive version

http://www.guardiani...a...wpage&pid=6

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I tested the video card and that doesn't seem to be the problem. So... what now? Could reformatting my hard drive possibly fix it?

Also, I still have the same issue with the WCZSLDR.exe though I reinstalled the driver.

Edited by MorningRayn, 31 December 2006 - 08:33 PM.

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I also recently just bought a new keyboard because I thought my old one wasn't working properly. I had to reinstall the driver for it every single time I turned on my computer because my computer would say that the driver for it wasn't installed properly.

Now with my new keyboard, it says that the registry is messed up and it works perfectly fine after I reinstall the drivers for it.

What does this mean? :/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this then see how things are

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I've done everything and my computer still crashes when I load up Teamspeak.

My keyboard works fine now, though.

EDIT: Nevermind, the keyboard is back to not working properly. This time it said something like "A driver for this has been disabled. Another device may be providing this functionality."

Edited by MorningRayn, 01 January 2007 - 02:02 PM.

Advertisements

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I got some new information that may (or may not) help. I got this audio interface for my computer but whenever I try loading up Cubase, my computer crashes.

So far what crashes my computer:

Cubase
Teamspeak
Warcraft
Certain movies (I'm not sure what kind but I think it's certain compressed file types)

And they all crash in the same way. A blue screen suddenly appears and within a second my computer automatically resets.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it start after any particular changes, new software, driver updates

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
to get it to halt on the blue screen: this is from my w2000 machine. xp may differ somewhat.

start>settings>control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery

uncheck 'automatically reboot'
check 'write an event to system log'

click ok

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I can't really recall. The first time I noticed it (I think) was with random videos in a compressed file format. I don't feel like I had installed anything when I first crashed besides maybe some video decompressor things.

I remember that when I first got my computer, the monitor wouldn't work. When I turned the computer on, I got the first few loading screens but then it would get to a point where it said something like "Video out of range" or something. I had to install the drivers for it (using another monitor to see what was happening) but that seems kinda weird to me 'cause I've never had a monitor not work like that.

I tried restoring my computer to how it was when I first got it a while ago using Norton Ghost. I had installed a program (Gameguard) for a game because they arbitrarily they decided it would be necessary to play it. After that, my computer went through a very heavy slow down. Restoring my computer with Norton Ghost didn't fix the problem but then I submitted a HiJackThis log and I was told to delete one thing and it was working as it had always been.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which video card is it

Are the videos the same using VLC

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/