Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of death and a quick reset

• Please log in to reply

Arikon_Shadow

Arikon_Shadow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop is a dell inspiron. Its got a 1.5 ghz processor in it and a 60 gig hdd. 512 megs of ram. Ok, my laptop is about a year old now. Of course dell wont cover it anymore. I was playing Age of Empires 2 on it with my brother over our lan. It was running off of a 10 mbps belkin wireless card at the time. During the game everything started to lag down. The green light showing that something is loading was a solid green. Then the screen flashed blue and the laptop restarted. After that it would get back to the windows xp loading screen, almost finish, and then blue screen and restart again. I would tell you what the blue screen says but it just flashes and then resets. Ive tried this with my battery and with the power cord and it doesnt do anything. Now if i leave the laptop off for awhile, i can turn it back on and it will load windows fine and i can do my thing for somewhere between 15-20 minutes usually and it will do the blue screen thing again and i will have to wait again. I completely cleared my harddrive and reinstalled windows xp but to no avail. My computer still shows all the ram and the hdd speed and i ran the diagnostics that the bios?? has attached which checked the memory and everything, and everything passed. Oh and the last thing would be that if i can get it to load for that 15-30 mins it usually takes a LONG time to load a basic program or window. I dont currently have any money and would like to avoid replacing something or taking/sending it in. Please Help.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
So, you think it may be a heating problem?

...try elevating the laptop at the corners so that a bit more space is beneath it...with more air flow, you will get a cooler system... laptops are already cramped for space, and are meant for light weight uses...gaming, I would think, would be at the other end of the spectrum :whistling:

...check the CPU for overheating...it may be failing...

...things might show "normal" under a no-load condition...but once you get going, it bogs down...

I'd refer this to the hardware forum to be sure...