Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ACER LAPTOP WONT RECOGNISE NEW DVDRW ROM

• Please log in to reply

jamesw

jamesw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, my partner has a ACER Travelmate 240Laptop 40GB HDD 256 MgB RAM XP Home approx 2 years old which originally came with a DVD-ROM. I was playing a CDROM game two weeks ago and the game froze. After rebooting the computer the DVD-ROM wouldn't play any type of disk. Just came up a message saying please insert a CD. I thought well it must be stuffed. So we bought a new TEAC DV-W28E DVD RW to replace it. I uninstalled the old DVD-ROM and installed the new TEAC DVD RW and booted up.

The computer wont recognise the new drive and when I go into My Computer there is no E drive showing. I thought it may need a driver for it but TEAC stated that Windows should recognise it without needing a special driver. It didn't come with an install CD and when I go into Device Manager there is no sign of the new drive even if I go Add new Hardware. When I go into BIOS it shows a make and model under IDE1 but that doesn't change whether the new or old drive or no drive is installed. I have tried a whole lot of stuff like removing upper and lower filters from the register but none of that worked. If I put the old drive back in the system recognises it as new hardware, installs it but it still won't read CD's.
This is very frustrating so any help would be appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi jamesw. Welcome to G2G. I think you should take the new
TEAC DV-W28E DVD RW back to where you got it and
tell them it don't work.
There could be something wrong with it. New things don't
always work. :whistling:

jamesw

jamesw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the suggestion. The supplier sent me another dvd drive exactly the same which he tested prior to sending. Unfortunately I had the same result...Any other thoughts?