Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup of network and connecting a laptop help

• Please log in to reply

termagen

termagen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all!

I got a laptop for Christmas, its pretty spiffy, in terms of me not knowing anything about spiffy laptops, and it has a wireless internet card in it.

My computer has a wireless card already in it from a while ago.

Alas, my computer has never networked with any other computers ever, let alone wirelessly.

I tried following all the prompts and what not but it didn't work :/ I don't know why.
Has anyone experienced something like this and would please be able to help me out?

how do i set up the internet wirelessly too?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Did you install any software for it? Do you have a wireless router? Do you have any security settings made on the router that could be blocking the laptop's connection, such as MAC filtering, etc?

termagen

termagen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No software came with the laptop in regards of networking and wireless.

Because we already have a wireless card in our computer, the guy at the shop we bought the laptop from, said so long as the modem is on on the computer, we will not need a wireless router. I think maybe we should buy one anyway?

We have a firewall, but we aleady took care of that in regards to trying to setup the network and wireless.

Edited by termagen, 25 December 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, if you have an internet connection which both computers are to share, then you need a router... You could pull it off using a crossover cable, but that's not really wireless either... You're trying to get on the internet, right?

termagen

termagen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i managed to sort it all out and got it working on my own!
thankyou very much for your help!

turns out i had to enable some setting somewhere :]

the wireless router is only required if i wanna use the laptop without turning on my external modem.
but my phone line has a filter on it, so having the modem on for long periods of time is no problem in that regards, so all in all i saved a hundred bucks with not needing a wireless router afterall :whistling: