Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cpu usage and fan problem !

• Please log in to reply

hiddy

hiddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a new motherboard because the old one broke..and since then I've had CPU Usage problems all the time. The graphics in it is worse then before.. (32mb) so I don't know if that makes a difference..like maybe its taking up too much ram or something. The svchost.exe will usually say 100% but not always.. and if I run any type of program or game, the CPU Usage stays at 100% and it shows that next to "System" in the Task Manager.. I'm just wondering how to find out what is causing this. ?
Also my computer fan doesn't turn off anymore and it is constantly running even though the computer isn't hot. I'm wondering if theres some type of setting to change in the motherboard, or if its okay to just disconnect the fan? because it isn't hot anymore but I'm not sure if the motherboard requires it or not. thanksssss

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The fan (I am talking about the cpu fan, assuming that we are talking about the same fan) is not supposed to shut off but to slow down when cpu temperature drops down (in most motherboards). Since Your cpu runs at 100% most of the time it is probably too hot and the fan is spinning fast to lower cpu temperature.

Download Everest home edition from here. run it and go to computer > sensor. Look at cpu, motherboard and HD temps.

When you replaced the motherboard did you perform clean install (reformating and installing) of windows?

hiddy

hiddy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah before when I had the old motherboard, the fan never came on unless it was really hot inside..but now its always running. You are probably right that it's something with the CPU Usage..
I also didn't do a fresh install of Windows either..I'm sure that would help but I don't have my windows XP CD because it came with the computer : (