Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want help in organizing pictures in file folders

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have taken a LOT of time to can and copy old pictures plus add new digital pictures in folders by names and dates in MY Pictures.
If you get what pictures you want in a certain file and they show in your thumnails in that file, why then when I went to burn a copy of that folder did not ALL the pictures shown in the thumbnails appear in the Cd I created? Why would it skip a couple of them?
Also, when you go to a file and click on a slideshow of that file to view the images, why do some of the pictures fill your screen, while other ones are much smaller and have margins around them? I thought I was doing it all the same, and don't know why they are different.
I have tried to look through folder options, but seem to get further in trouble by changing settings. At one time viewing picture thumbnails in a picture folder, there was an icon of a folder, and it said thumbnails. I don't know how that got there, and if it was needed???? Do you need thumbnail information on each picture?

So anyway...is there a standard setting I should have in my folders that when I open each picture file, I see a thumbnail of each copied picture. so all folders are the same? I want to see all the pictures in full size when I view them in a slide show, and also when I copy them to a CD, I want all the pictures in that folder to be copied, and none left out. It's very frustrating...

Some of the files I followed instructions to batch rename and number each file with a number and then space.jpeg. Could this be the reason I am having trouble now?

Once I have renamed a file with the jpeg method, is there a way of removing that without going trhough each picture and renaming it separately? I only did that thinking the pictures would be copied in the numbered order, but it didn't work. The copied pictures appear in a random order no matter how they are named and numbered. :whistling:
I'd appreciate any help in handling pictures in folders, or a place where I could read SIMPLE concise instructions on how to copy and download pictures in the way I want.
Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sometimes pictures are taken by camera's are raw format pictures. Even tho these pictures may have a jpg file extension they are really RAW files. It doesn't matter since if the pictures are burned to a cd/dvd and viewed in a photo program they will display normal. Many times these same pictures will not show in picture&fax viewer simply because it is a real simple and not very sophisticated of a program.

All files in windows are kept in alphabetical order. If you really want to keep them in a certain order you must number them with the numbers as the first letters on the name. For example i use a named picture like "Joanne and me.jpg" and i will change it to "001joanneandme.jpg". Yes, spaces also count in a name as to what order they are placed in . A blank space will be closer to the first picture than even a"0" on a name. I never use spaces in a name. If you really want to get technical you can also move a file in-between other pictures by using a small"a" letter after the numbers. Lets say i already have some pictures named and i find one that should go inbetween some others. The pictures names are 112joanne&horse.jpg and 113joanne&horse.jpg. I can insert a picture in place between these 2 pictures by naming it 112joanne&horsea.jpg

I hope you understand me here. Just remember that Windows thinks "0"s ( zero's)are first before 1's(one's). All numbering systems should start out with a "0".

SRX660

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I'm understanding that without an actual photo slide show program my pictures won't show in the order I want them to.
But I was more concerned that in the vacation file I mentioned that two of the pictures that show up by thumnail images in that file didn't copy to the CD I burned. Why would it leave 2 pictures out, and copy the rest just fine?
At the taskbar and going into details or properties of the folders, what things should have a check mark by them? I am afraid I changed something there that might have something to do with them not copying. And why would some of my picture files have a "ZBthumbnail" folder icon showing up now? Does it need to be there? If you copy a folder with one of those icons in it, will it show up on the CD? :whistling:

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
When I go to My Pictures/tools/folder options/view tab......can someone tell mw what should be checked, and what should remain unchecked?

Should there be a check at "do not cache thumbnails" or not? In one of my picture folders, a ZBthumbnail icon appears beside the last picture. What is it, and does it need to be there?
I have XP Media Center 2005 version.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres what i have checked.

display simple folder view
display full path in address bar
there is a (dot) in "show hidden files and folders"
remember each folder view setting
show encrypted or compressed ntfs files in color

That is all i have checked (or dotted) in that window.

All the rest i have unchecked. I do not think it is important to have "do not cache thumbnails" checked as i don't have it and when i open the folder thru explorer the thumbnails show. As for the ZB thing i think that comes from installing Canon software for your camera. It is used for access thru canon software like a album or something similar.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 27 December 2006 - 08:56 AM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Well thank you. I wondered especially about that ZB deal. I would like to remove that Canon camera program anyway, as I have come to like the Photosmart program that came with my HP better.
The Canon program has my library of pictures in it also from My Pictures folders, and once when I deleted a picture from the image library while inside the Canon program, it deleted from My Pictures also. So I was hesitant in removing the Canon program and losing pictures I have taken so long to add to my computer.