Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows has been shut down

• Please log in to reply

Pamela3333

Pamela3333

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[size=7] Hello...
I have a good friend who is having problems with his computer. I have been on the phone with him for hours now trying to help because it's Christmas and he has no family... Just him and his computer... When he turns his computer on he gets a blue screen and this is what it say's.
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
If this is the first time you have seen this Stop Error screen and restart your computer.
(HE DID THAT AND NOTHING CHANGED)
It went on to say, check to make sue any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates. If the problem continues dissable or remove any newly hardware or software. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or dissable componant, restart computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, then select safe mode.
Technical Information- stop
00x000000ED 0x8117BC58 0xc0000032.0x00000000-0x00000000

*That is all the information I have on this issue up to this point. He pushed F8 and said nothing happened. Once when he did get a option to go into safe mode, he tried and it took him right back to the blue screen with same message. I want so much to be able to help him with this... Can you help me help my friend on this lonley Christmas Day??? Thank you so very much and Merry Christmas...
Pamela

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off an XP CD and press any key to boot from it.
On the first screen, press R for the recovery console.

Select your installation number (usually 1, for C:\Windows)
Type in any admin password you have set (usually blank, just press Enter)
Type "chkdsk /p /r" (no quotes), press Enter, leave to run.

When done, type "exit". Computer should now load into Windows.