Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I have a Hard drive that works on one comp but not another. The latter comp recognizes the HD during start up but will not run Windows when being loaded. help!

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
What steps have you taken. Have you configured it in bios? Have you changed the jumpers to slave, primary etc?

nestorey

nestorey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
bios has it listed as the first boot device and the jumper is set to master. I also tried it with no jumper at all which is how it work on my other computer. for some reason i can't get it to work on this one! I even tried reinsalling the OS on this comp but it won't do it. I mean it says that it recognizes the HD and CDrom in the bios but the only device that actually works (ie. shows progress on the monitor) is the CDrom while reading the set up files. when it comes to the point for the HD to perform it's just like there isn't one there...even though the bios says it is!! aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Does the bios recognise the HDD properly? I mean if it is set to Autodetect, are the correct details appearing? What is the motherboard model no. nad what is the Hard drive details, eg seagate 500G etc.

nestorey

nestorey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
the HD is being recognized correctly. I can't really thell what model the Mobo is. i know that it's an intel chipset.

the HD specs are: wd100bb 0aua1

iv'e tried a defferent HD with the same dismal results...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for motherboard

nestorey

nestorey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
therein lies the problem...i can't get an HD to work with the stupid comp. it will "read" the HD, jut not recognize it when it comes time to work with it.