Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help

• Please log in to reply

dookie270

dookie270

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
alright so this is prolly a weird type of question but what the [bleep]. im 16, mom just bought a new dell that i designed(designed it with my gaming in mind) and now that we've got it...she wont let me play games on it bc she thinks they'll screw the computer up. is there anyway i can convince her otherwise? she says games are for your xbox 360 and that is true but the only games i play on my computer are real time strategy games like age of empires 3, warcraft 3 and games like that which arent really available on consols(not to mention the fact that they dont take much on a computer to run anyways)

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi dookie270 and welcome to G2G!

I own hundreds of PC games and not one of them has messed up my PC.

She's probably scared of the PC breaking and a big repair bill to fix it.
You could tell her that you'll pay the repair bill if you break it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well, its your mum's computer, she bought it so unfortunately your mum has the final say. Its not for us or anybody else to say what can and cannot be done with the computer that your mum bought.

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
alright well this is basically whats got her all spooked about it. My cousin who is 19 told her that putting games on your computer will slow it down. He said that windows runs on a 32 bit platform and games run on a 64 bit platform so your computer has to open up a new window just for the games 64 bit platform. He also referred to stuff about the registry bogging up or something. So i asked him if he played games, he said yes and then i asked him how he keeps his computer from slowing down. He said he's got two internal hard drives, one for games and one for everything else. Now if i would've known this before my mom bought our current computer then i would've done that. He told me that what he would do is take my old computer and install the game on that computers hard drive, and then if you network your two computers right you can access the game on the newer computer and use its video card and processor but the game would still be on the old computers hard drive. So is he full of crap about the game stuff or should i do what he suggested?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Windows does run on a 32bit platform but most games don't run in a 64bit mode. A 32 bit platform doesn't open up a new window and run the game in 64 bit mode. A 32 bit platform will run the games in 32 bit mode.
The registry will get larger regardless of where you install the games anyway. The registry gets bloated when you continually install and uninstall applications/games etc. Slowness and a bloated registry can be sorted out by running a registry cleaner such as CCleaner, cleaning up temporary files and running disk defragmenter.

Running the game off the old PC's hard drive via a network would be slow and completely unnecessary. Why not have the the old hard drive fitted in the new PC?
If you don't want to do that you could take it to a shop and get someone to fit another drive (they are quite inexpensive).

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 27 December 2006 - 05:51 AM.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Just reading what ZEUS said about buying a new HDD. I didn't i only partitioned my HDD.

Note: You will need XP disk to do this.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just want to clear on thing up.
There is a myth that has been going on for a while that the fuller the hard drive the slower it is. My parents still believe this after i've given them 10 lectures that this isn't the case. Make sure this isn't something your mom believes because it isn't true, don't know why people that know less assume that this is the case with computers.

Also there is a problem is the windows code, that has plagued Microsoft for some time. The older a computer gets the slower it becomes, there has never been an answer to this. But Microsoft has hopes that since the recoded vista's entire operating system ground up that it will not do this......We'll cross our fingers and hope.
James