Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AVG and NOD32

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hello all,

Right, here's my problem. I use NOD32 antivirus, but it can't update. I'm not allowed to remove it, since I'm using a company laptop.

I was wondering... Is it possible to download AVG, run it, and then simply DISABLE Nod32 so that it's not running. Is this possible?

I know it's not good to have 2 AntiVirus products on your PC. But what if I disable one of them? Will it work?

The PC is at great risk at the moment, since NOD last updated in October and I download a lot of music, etc.

Thanks in advance,

:whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can download and run AVG and disable NOD32. Look in the menus of NOD 32 to see if you can disable it permanantely otherwise it will reopen every time that you boot the computer and you will have to disable it manually each time.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
So when NOD is disabled, the two programs won't clash and provide less protection?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
No, they will not.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Now I'm facing a new problem. I can't close NOD32, not even with the task manager. I also can't disable it in the menus, since I need the company password. What to do? :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think that the only way is to approach your company's system administrator to take care of the problem.

sam-my

sam-my

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Slikkie

I am writting this from my own experience only.
I was using NOD32 and EWIDO for more than two years.
When EWIDO "freezed" its support and updates I moved to AVG 7.5
I have them running on the System Tray for approx one week now and
have not yet encountered any issue. AVG is performing a schedule
scan every day.
Hope it will continue....like that.
IMHO, NOD is a great AV and AVG 7.5 (ex EWIDO) a powerful Anti-Spyware/Trojans

sweeper

sweeper

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hello

Running two AVs are very bad idea, so never try it.
Now if you feel that you need to have some other AV scans as you are not sure with the scan result of you on board AV, then you can always use Online AV scans from Panda, Kaspersky, F Secure etc. Except the last one other two will only generate reports to show if there is any infection/malware present.

The reason for not having two AVs onboard is as follows:

EVery AV downloads some protection updates which are known as Virus Signatures. Now this Virus Signature of one AV can not be understood as a protection update by another AV, on the contrary, these Virus signatures will be intercewpted as Virus by the other AV. So this will start a very serious conflict between two AV jeoperdisinfg your computer security as well as may lead to very serious system instability.

I hope I have clarified this matter to you.

BTW, you can have more than two Anti Spywares on your machine that will never create any problem, but two or more AVs is a strict no-no.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thank you for the advice Sweeper, and all others.

I've just been accepted into the GeekU, so hopefully I can learn a thing or two about Malware and Viruses, etc. :whistling:

sweeper

sweeper

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Welcome to GeekU, and happy learning Posted ImagePosted Image