Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Want To Remove Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
It's not in my add/remove programs list. Can someone tell me how to get rid of it? I don't use it anymore, but when I try to open something from my Incredimail program, it wants to open pages with Internet Explorer.

Thanks in Advance as I know I can ALWAYS get help here.

dog

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I really don't think you can uninstall IE, as it's part of Windows. However, you should be able to register a different browser as default (see this link) or change the file association with the files you're trying to open to the browser you're currently using.

What are the extensions of the files you're trying to open?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Can't uninstall a microsoft product? :blink: That bites! But, go figure eh? :whistling:

Some links open with IE while others open in Firefox.

In fact, the link to go to your post, that I got in my e-mail opens in Firefox.

While a link with the file extension .cfm opens in IE.

I'm not sure of what others open with what, I'll try to keep track for a while if that will help.

dog

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Be sure to review the link I posted for instructions on making an alternate browser the default. That should also help.

Your Troubleshooter

Your Troubleshooter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Moondog,

You still can remove IE from being displayed in your Desktop but because it's part of Windows, you may have issues it. You can remove IE by going into Add/remove programs -> Windows Components -> Remove the tick mark near Internet Explorer and click Next. This should remove IE from being displayed, but it sill will be used in the background.

Now, follow instructions from Piper mentioned about to change your default browser, that should do it.

Thanx