Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell laptop XPS boot problems (no post)

• Please log in to reply

RegorTheGreat

RegorTheGreat

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is probably the 5th Dell XPS laptop this year doing exactly the same thing for me. I have been unable to find any information specifically about this...maybe a known issue about the motherboards, or CPU's, or the memory...? This is the 3rd model XPS that has done this to me as well. It is an XPS PP09L.
When hitting the power button, the lights turn on like normal. Thats about it, it appears on for about 3 seconds, then just turns off. I have always considered these to be laptops with bad motherboards because of the intensity to troubleshoot this problem, especially without spare parts for swapping and testing. Its odd how many of these from the Dell XPS line have done the exact same thing!
Any info about this??

Advertisements

RegorTheGreat

RegorTheGreat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Actually, I have 2 Dell laptops doing the same thing. I just started on another with the same issue. Though, it is not from the XPS line. It is a Dell Inspiron 2200. Maybe this is a power issue across the board with Dells? It would helpfull if I could get some post beep error, or something! Please Help!!

Gary Drumm

Gary Drumm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did anyone ever come up with an answer to this question? I'm having the same issue and I'd prefer not the send the machine to Dell for resolution.

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Dell laptops tend to exhibit this behavior when their processors are not seated correctly. Dell has been using a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket lately that uses a cam-screw to lock the pins in the socket. Sometimes these cams are not fully locked down and work loose, causing the pins to disconnect from the socket's contacts. If your processor is one of the newer Core2 chips without actual pins on it, it won't have this arrangement, but a simple lever/frame locking arrangement. These don't generally work loose, in which case it could be that the processor is overheating or may have burnt out.

The troubleshooting steps I would try are as follows:

Try booting with various power configurations, i.e. battery and AC adapter connected, then battery alone, then AC adapter alone. If the symptoms are the same no matter how you boot, you rule out power as a cause.

Next, I'd pop the covers on the various user-accessible cards, such as WiFi, modem, memory etc. and verify that all are seated properly.

Try booting with various memory configurations. Try the cards one at a time (if you have 2) and in different slots. Then try booting without any memory in the computer to see if it behaves differently. If it does, you may have a bad memory stick.

After that, if you still have the same symptoms, it's probably some combination of processor / motherboard / video card. If the video card is shot, it COULD cause the computer to do this. If it's an integrated card, it's new motherboard time. Being an XPS, it's likely not though.

If you feel comfortable enough with removing the keyboard, you can carefully take a look inside and make sure everything is secure (cables, cards etc.)

I'm putting my money on the processor either being loose or defective. Unfortunately, without being able to boot at all, you can't even run the diags, so this one will be hard to diagnose.

Do you allow adequate cooling while using your XPS?