Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Update Hangs

• Please log in to reply

eskimokisz

eskimokisz

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
So I'm visiting my parents for the holidays and taking care of standard maintenance on my mother's computer. While trying to run Microsoft Update, I click "Custom" and get the window saying "Please wait while we locate the relevant updates..." and the scrolly bar. And I wait. And wait. Trying to upgrade to IE7 results in the same problem (infinite wait during the installation process). Ditto updating definitions in Windows Explorer. Ideas?

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Go to my computer and open it>>>open c:drive >>scroll down to windows folder>>open it>>look for a windows update folder or windows update notepad>>>open it >>delete everything in it>>edit >>>select all>>on any blue file right click delete

then from start >>>click run>>type in prefetch click ok
then edit>>>then select all>>on any blue file click delete

eskimokisz

eskimokisz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
OK, I cleaned out the Windows Update log and the Prefetch folder. No luck. More suggestions?