Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hangs on Partmgr.sys

• Please log in to reply

Marbles_

Marbles_

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Earlier today, my computer froze and I did a hard reboot. Upon restart it said that windows did not start successfully and gave me the options of safe mode (sm w/ networking, sm w/ command prompt), last known good configuration and start normally. At first I choose start normally but the screen went black and remained so. So I hard rebooted again and picked last known good config and the same thing happened. Then I tried to go into safe mode and it loaded files up until Partmgr.sys and then it just hangs there. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
came accross this not sure if it will help

be sure computer is unplug from the outlet in the wall

before you try this

not sure if you have a laptop

>> Re: XP Boot hangs after Partmgr.sys
I just plugged my laptop hdd all the way into its enclosure and fixed this problem

if you have your xp cd try booting with that

Marbles_

Marbles_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry for not specifying. The problem is on my other desktop computer. I can't find my XP cd but in the event that I do, (following the directions of other responses in the forum on similar issues) I should open the Recovery Console, no? Well, if I do that and that does not work, what are my other options?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
finding your xp cd would be your best option

Marbles_

Marbles_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, well I'll probably find it tmrw. But if and I do and am unable to correct the problem could I perhaps export the information on my hard drive to a portable HD and formation and import it back?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
it should be ok after you do a boot up and a repair

find the xp cd and ill find you the moderator who will take you through the repairs

Edited by rushin1nd, 26 December 2006 - 06:49 PM.

Marbles_

Marbles_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright well I found the disk like I thought I did. Where do I go from here?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Marbles_...

The problem here isn't with Partmgr.sys, but with the file that loads right after it. Without being able to start the machine, we can't really find out what that one is. :whistling: Our options are very limited.

Try Recovery Console first.

Boot to the cd. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to load Recovery Console. You should get a screen that lists your Windows installation (1: C:\WINDOWS)...press 1. You'll be prompted for the Admin password...this is blank by default, just press Enter. You should end up at a command prompt (C:\WINDOWS>)

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter. At this point, either the check will start or you will be told the drive is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot. If it's the latter, type Y and press Enter.

Reboot. This is a long check...be patient. 60 to 90 minutes is not unreasonable. It may even appear to hang or back up...this is normal, let it finish.

Let me know if you are able to complete this and if it boot to Windows once it's done.

Marbles_

Marbles_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, I did what you said and it still goes to the option screen. Now it hangs on NDIS.sys for a few seconds when going into safe made, before restarting and simply restarts immediately when going into last good config and start normally.

Edited by Marbles_, 27 December 2006 - 11:06 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

If this doesn't work, we have one good and one not-so-good option left. :whistling:

lawrencemflynn

lawrencemflynn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similiar prob, but i have vista home basic, and no install cd or cabs in options. any suggestions? Recovery console, and repair my computer do not work. its just an automatic reboot after partmgr.sys HELP!