Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive problem.

• Please log in to reply

imhowie

imhowie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have done this in the past with no problems, until now. I had an old HD from an old windows 95 pc. I took it out and plugged it into my newer pc running xp home, were a back-up hard drive is, to see what was on it.Wasn`t nothing worth keeping. After taking it back out and plugging the other hard drive in, the drive letter changed and now it says I need to format it. I am not concerned with loosing the info on it but what happened and can I get the info off of it? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

slurpy

slurpy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
what you can do is unplug any dvd or cd roms you have turn power back on and it will go back to C. then go back turn off the pc again and plug everything back in. This will solve the problem or you can give your cd dvd rom the letter x and y (if you have 2 drives) then change the HD to C give them a try