Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ZoneAlarm

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. This was probably discussed already, but it seems that ZoneAlarm hogs more resources than Norton did. I have Zone Alarm now. I use Nod32 As Anti-virus, and Spyware Doctor against spyware. Anyway, my 3.2 Gig P4 Processor is 20% full at all times due to vsmon.exe. Why is it so, and how can I lower the load on CPU. Please assist. Thank you.

Advertisements

slurpy

slurpy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Howdy bigdog
Vsmone.exe is part of zone alars client. I found zone alarm to be a big resource hog as well. I went with another not well known yet firewall, its webroots firewall it only takes upp about 20 megs of ram and is so silent you wouldnt know it is there exept to give permissions out. Its stealth setting is exellent as well. I would try it free for thirty days.

http://www.webroot.c.......&vcode=DT05

How much ram do you have/? I have 2 gigs but it still taxes the cpu (zone alarm).

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I have 2 Gig of RAM. Also, even thought I paid $0+TAX after all rebates will come in, for a 3 user license, I already bought Zone Alarm and opened the box, while still being on evaluation right now. So I am "stuck." Besides, Zone Labs is my first choice. It actually doesn't bother me as much, except when I play games, I have to practically shut everything down, or all goes into slow-mo due to CPU overflow.

However, all my apps are now loading kinda slow, about 300% slower than before. So I am a bit frustrated with the outcome of all this. I am glad NOD32 is merely noticeable.

Edited by bigdog1100, 27 December 2006 - 08:25 AM.