Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Urgent Help! Major Problem!-programs won't open

• Please log in to reply

mixed_ mami

mixed_ mami

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have windows xp, and an HP comp

The other day I tried to open yahoo messenger but it wouldn't open. So I restarted my comuter. As it was shutting off, a box popped up real fast right before it shut off. There was no way I coulda read what it said, it shut off too fast........When my computer came back on, a box popped up that said 'this computer does not have an internet connection' or something and had options to install it. So I ignored it and tested my internet connection and it still worked............Next, I realized that my sygate firewall and norton antivirus weren't in the system tray!!!!! Then I got a box pop up that said my HP office jet printer encountered a problem and had to be shut down or something. My printer wasn't even on!!!!.......Next, I got a certificate pop up that asked me if I agreed to sign it or something. It looked like it was one of those certificates that u get when u first get your computer. And I think I tried to press no or close it but it wouldn't, I think it forced me to sign it..........Then, I tried to open yahoo messenger again but it still won't open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What on earth is going on!!!!!!!!!??????????????????

Advertisements

mixed_ mami

mixed_ mami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Then when I was in the middle of doing something, I heard a thump type of noise and then beeps thru my headphones!!!!!! Then I tried to open my sygate firewall and it wouldn't open. Now when I try to open it, it gives the error-"smc.exe- unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because Trident.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."...........Then I went to norton antivirus and opened it to check the settings, and I realized that 'auto protect' had been disabled! So I 'enabled auto protect' and it just goes right back to being disabled!!! Then I tried to run live-update and it gave me this message-"LU1861: Live update has detected a problem with the task scheduling service on your computer. This problem may prevent automatic liveupdate from running" but then it downloaded some of the updates. Some it wouldn't. And it gave me a box that said to send in this info to tech support:

Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1Common Client Core 2.1.4

LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.

Please contact Technical Support and provide all information displayed on this screen.
For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your Symantec product.

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
-----------------------------------
File: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCAPP.EX^
69632 Bytes 12/21/2006 19:41:38.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

mixed_ mami

mixed_ mami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just realized something: I think the location of my yahoo messenger and sygate firewall look weird now. The location of my yahoo messenger is: "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\bak\ypager.exe"

And sygate firewall is:"C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\bak\smc.exe" -start

Dat doesn't sound right. That 'bak'. That doesn't sound like the right location.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it by malware even if this helps

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP