Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB PORTS NOT WORKING

• Please log in to reply

DOMESTIC

DOMESTIC

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I built a computer for the first time and when i went to go use the usb ports(for printers, gamepads, joystick) they didnt work. Im running XP SP2 and I know my hardware works for XP. Under device manager, it says my usb is workin ok. But when i plug in a printer or my gamepad, Windows does not detect it or anything. I cant get anything to work on ANY usb port. I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything and i dunno. I checked the bios. I need help. Thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Did you install the chipset and usb drivers that are on the cd that came with the mobo?

What mobo and cpu do you have?

Rick

DOMESTIC

DOMESTIC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a asus p4p800 SE and a 478 intel 3gig cpu

I installed the drivers and the chipset that came on the cd with the motherboard.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would contact Asus with this one, sounds like a bad board and time for rma.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other thing, I know you said you "checked bios" but double check it and make sure the usb controller is enabled.

Also if you make changes don't for get to save when you exit.

Rick

gabrield

gabrield

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got a similliar problem with the USB. I couldn't figure this out myself so decided to return this Mother Board and get a different one. Seems alot of people are having problems with this card.

Gabriel

Edited by gabrield, 23 April 2005 - 10:34 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I suspect everyone is right about the mobo being the problem.

Just thought I'd mention one thing but it's a [bleep] of a long shot - are you using different cables with each of these devices? Because if you are using the same usb cable each time, it could be the cable thats the problem.