Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll32.exe missing

• Please log in to reply

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I only use the computer to go download and post on forums and occasionally watch videos from Youtube, and recently I've had computer problems. I know nothing about how to fix things like this, so I would appreciate any help I can get.

About a month ago my computer got a trojan virus, detected by Norton Antivirus 2003, and then afterwards, I downloaded AVAST free-trial and got rid of the virus (this was after I deleted Norton, because it said Norton was inteferring with AVAST). For getting rid of the virus, I scanned my computer with AVAST and it detected the infected file, and I hit "delete" immediately, which deleted the rundll32.exe file.

I dont' know what to do now, will someone please help me? I don't know anything, and I hope I'm not missing a past post that could help me with this problem. If I am, my apologies, but would someone give me the link?

Ms.Orange

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I would recommend you run sfc /scannow. Go to Start then Run. Type in sfc /scannow and press <Enter>. You may need your recovery disk or XP disk to complete the operation. This will scan your computer and replace any corrupted or missing files.
Here is Microsoft knowledge base article #310747 describing the use of this command.

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
acklan

I did the scan, and it needed the XP disc, which I do not have. I don't have the recovery disc either. Is there another way?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
What type of computer do you have? Make and model please.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
does avast have recovery program

if it does recover your file

yes you will be reinstalling your trojan but you can go to malware and they can fix this for you

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

you stand a better chance being infected rather than not having the rundll32.exe file

try that and if it dont have a recovery program then try to do a system restore go back before you installed avast

a infected restore point is better than no restore point

from start>>>all programs>>accesseries>>>system tools >>system restore click on that and pick restore point before you install avast see what happens

good luck

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry for the late reply

acklan: I don't know the make and model, perhaps you can tell me where to find it. I'm using Windows XP.

rushin1nd: I deleted AVAST yesterday because the trial expired and I have no other protection for my computer. I downloaded AntiVir in place. Okay, I tried point restore and nothing happened.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
The model (Dell, HP, Gateway,..) should be written on the case. You can find most information about your computer by going to..

Start then Run. Type MSinfo332 and press <Enter>.

In the right hand column will have the make and model of the computer.

EDIT: I mistype the entry. Instead of MSinfo332 it should be MSinfo32. Sorry.

Edited by acklan, 30 December 2006 - 09:31 PM.

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
acklan: I tried MSinfo332, but it said that it could not find anything.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I mis-typed the entry. It should have been MSinfo32.

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay, here it is:

ASUS
A7V400-MX
X86-based PC

sorry my computer's in chinese and I can't read it too well, I typed the first three info on the right hand column, hope that's got the make and model.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
This problem requires a XP disk, to repair the missing\corrupted rundll.exe application. Please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article #812340.

Edited by acklan, 30 December 2006 - 09:57 PM.

Ms.Orange

Ms.Orange

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I don't have the XP disc, is there another way? sorry...

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I do not know of one and Microsoft did not give an alternative method.
Another member may have more insight.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ask someone if they have and could lend you one

just make sure you get the product key

your repairs can be done that way

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I do not know if you deleted ALL of the rundll32.exe from your comp, but, do a search for the file.
You will have to search in hidden files.
rundll32.exe is in
---C:\windows\system32
---C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\I386

I believe you copy the file to the system32 folder.

You can also follow these instructions. Merijn.

This location allows you to get the rundll32 file, add tells what to do with it.

Good luck and let us know.