Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp wont boot up...

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Ok we need it to be like this
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If you have xp home on the broken computer then we need to change XP Professional to XP Home
copy the file to the floppy Change to the floppy drive and at the prompt - Make sure you are at the floppy drive
(I assume A:) otherwise you will change the boot file for the laptop.
A:>edit boot.ini enter
This should open an editing screen. go and make the changes so it looks like the one in this post.
When you have finished press the keys alt and F (for file) then press alt and X press enter and it should ask you if you want to save changes say yes. This we hope will boot your computer.
Change the laptop back to c: and check the boot.ini file to make sure you did not change it. If you know for sure you were at the A: prompt then all should be fine.

Advertisements

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

copy the file to the floppy Change to the floppy drive and at the prompt - Make sure you are at the floppy drive

It is xp pro on my broken pc. so this should b fine. where do i find the file, how do i copy it and how do i change to a:/ ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Peterm,

I walked pandammonia through creating the boot disk in chat. He will try it when he gets home from his friends, which is where he is at the moment.

Fenor

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
fenor- the way u described did not boot pc.
peterm- i tried to edit the boot.ini as u described but it wouldnt let me it was read only, i went to properties and unchecked but it still wouldnt let me. its the same though except for a =noexecute before fastdetect
It wouldnt boot still, it says verifing dmi pool data....update successful. then tells me to remove disks or other media and press a key to continue, when i take disk out n restart, same thing happens as before

Edited by pandammonia, 31 December 2006 - 01:10 AM.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
now it appears to boot from disk but goes back to same selection screen and all options do the same as before. :(

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
so what does your boot.ini file say ? did you change the 2 to 1 ?
I take it still no command prompt

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I tried taking out the noexeute=optin bit too.
Fenor also got me to schange ntldr to setupldr but neither of these worked either.
Still no anything, its all still the same.

I found this link that i think is for a similar boot cd that silver suggested, might this help? http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

Edited by pandammonia, 31 December 2006 - 02:01 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts

I tried taking out the noexeute=optin bit too.

You tried to take it out? What won't in come out ? how did yoy try to take it out ?
That is a boot disk I have been playing with but you need an image from an xp cd which you do not have.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
i mean i tried to boot it by taking out that bit in the edit boot.ini window.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Did Fenor tell you to put that in?

Advertisements

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
no, thats how it was in the original boot.ini but the one u specified above didnt have that bit in it, i tried it without that bit 1st, then tried it with it in.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
im going to try the 6 disk option now n try pressing r at first disk.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
did not offer r at 1st disk bt pressed it anyway n nothing. am running all disks now hoping the final message will be different.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
just finished. same deal. gets 2 disk 6 then goes to blue error screen with same error message as b4

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Glad your got patience