Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp wont boot up...

• Please log in to reply

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
when i downloaded the 6 disks from microsoft, i got the xppro with sp2 coz thats what i had. should i just try the original xp pro without service packs?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Should not matter
I take it it still won't boot.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
ok. wont bother with that 1 then. Nope still no joy at all, same blue screen when i try the 6 disks.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Go here and download NTFS 4 dos (at the bottom)
NTFS

Edited by peterm, 31 December 2006 - 03:30 AM.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
yep. do i put it on floppy or run it from laptop
scratch that- ran the prog and created the floppy. ran option 1 and let it do a chkdsk

Edited by pandammonia, 31 December 2006 - 04:11 AM.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
chkdsk came back ok. 0 KB in bad sectors

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
however now i have a prompt.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

I recently did a full system back-up with nero back it up 2. is there some way i can use that disk to gt back into windows maybe?

I am not familiar with this Nero but maybe you can take off your hard disk, install it as a slave on another computer, install Nero to the master disk, restore system to the slave, take off the slave and install it back as a master in your computer?

If you do move the disk, backup your valuable data before starting the recovery.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

I am not familiar with this Nero but maybe you can take off your hard disk, install it as a slave on another computer, install Nero to the master disk, restore system to the slave, take off the slave and install it back as a master in your computer?

The skeptic- I myself have thought of this as an option, even maybe just create a partition on seperate pc to restore nero to, then just find my boot files and restore to my pc. But i dont have access to another pc, only laptops, and a mac, and because its a full system backup, its only stored as one file so i have to restore whole thing and am worried about it taking over on this laptop. Also this is my first back-up and restore so am very unsure of how to do it, and its possible effects.
[color=#009900]peterm- while at the prompt, i went to c: dir just to have a look. My friend who was with me at the time claimed that my autoexec.bat file said it was 0 bytes and he thinks that could be the problem... ? btw - Happy New Year.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Happy New Year
If your Autoexec was not 0 we would have a problem.
At C:>type boot.ini enter
what does it say

Advertisements

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
i did the type boot.ini as requested and its the same as the one posted above, but here it is.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition<1>\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition<1>\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

This looks alright yeah?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Yes your boot.ini looks fine? which is different to the one before as the error message.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mvp.sys and thats the last thing that comes up.

Ok I do not know if this will work because we are not in the recovery console at the prompt type C:>disable.mup Enter
Try a reboot. If that does not work the only other thing I can think of is if we rename the file mvp.sys to mvp.old and try a boot. We can also see if you can start system restore as an option. ( I do not run system restore so I can't say for certin it works from where we are)

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
It just says bad command or filename.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I only have 2 option left (for now)
1) Try system restore C:>%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe Enter
If not then do you want to try a rename of the file ?
Change to C:\windows\system32\drivers
at the prompt C:\windows\system32\drivers:>dir mvp.sys this should show the file.If it does then
C:\windows\system32\drivers:>ren mvp.sys mvp.old enter Reboot

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I tried option one as typed andaid bad command or filename so i typed it as \WINDOWS\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and it came back with this program cannot be run in DOS mode. bugger!- (It sounded too easy lol). Will try option 2 now.

All attempts at option 2 came back bad command or filename. :whistling:

Edited by pandammonia, 01 January 2007 - 02:21 AM.