Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to connect to net via ADSL

• Please log in to reply

The Apprentice

The Apprentice

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am looking for help in identifying a problem I am having with my home computer.

I am trying to connect to the internet using an instalation cd provided by the ISP but it keeps stalling when it tries to connect to the network.

The modem seems to be fine as both the ADSL and power lights are lit and I have checked device manager and all is fine with it there.

Troubleshooter says to check the filters and cables are fitted correctly which I have done and AdSL is activated on my line.

I have even used a differnt filter to check there is not a problem there.

When the program is testing for a network connection windows does say in the bottom corner that talktalk broadband is connected but then the installation program comes up saying that connection to the network failed. The diagnostics say something about sync detection and then failed next to it so it looks like thats where the problem lies but i don't know what it is or how to fix it. Could it be a difference in clock speeds between my comp and the server?

This isn't a new broadband account. It was previously set up on my laptop which i've now broke and am now trying to set my desk top instead.

I tried setting up using the internet connection wizard but no luck there either.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put the TalkTalk CD in your pile of dining room coasters as it is useless.

Go into Control Panel -> Network Connections. Plug your TalkTalk modem in. Click "make a new connection" top left.

Then follow the wizard though as follows, clicking next after selecting the option I write here:

Next on the first screen, then "Connect to the internet" -> "Set up my connection manually" -> "Connect using a dial-up modem" -> select your TalkTalk modem in here if asked -> ISP name is whatever you want to call it -> The phone number is "0,38" -> your TalkTalk username and passwords go here -> Finish.

Now check the details are correct and click "Dial". You should now be able to stay connected for more than two seconds

Edited by Neil Jones, 28 December 2006 - 06:20 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi and welcome,

What kind of modem do you have?

What is the Network Identification does your ISP use? (PPPoE, DHCP, MAC)

Do you have a router?

The Apprentice

The Apprentice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a million Neil, when I tried the manual set up I used the broadband option instead of the dial up. It's working a treat.

Ta silverbeard too but it's sorted now.

Great site this, it was either ask here or call talk talk support , i think i'd rather boil my head before trying that.