Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu usage 100

• Please log in to reply

smoothb

smoothb

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi. i use sonic mydvd software to edit and burn dvd's from my tivo recordings and home videos. latley and sometimes in the past it would take for ever to skip ahead in the video while editing. somedays it is a breeze however. which puzzles the crap out of me. i am by no means any kind of computer person when it comes to problems or system stuff. i am the average user. anyway my problem is that i see the cpu usage is always around 100 when i am using the mydvd program and it is impossible to use it. the 2 things i see when i pull up the windows task manager is system idle process or mydvd is always at 99 or 100. everything seems to slow down when the system idle process is at 98 or 99 usage. i dont know what this is or what to do. but this is my little hobby burning games i record on tivo. please help!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
system idle process is at 98 or 99 usage is normal...just means not much is going on at that time...cpu is not being used much ...

when you use sonic mydvd software to edit and burn dvd's it takes a lot of processing power to do these type of activities ...exactly how much depends on what components you have...
what are your system specs...cpu..ram...HD size...

Edited by happyrck, 27 December 2006 - 10:12 AM.

smoothb

smoothb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
dell dimension 8400
intel®
pentium® 4 cpu 3.00ghz
2.99ghz, 1.00gb of ram

smoothb

smoothb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
is there something i need to add to my computer or does something need to fixed. thank you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have a decent CPU and you have enough RAM...probably to many things starting up with windows...each using some of your resource's...when you get to many things running at the same time it will slow your system to a crawl..like if you are running your anti virus at the same time your trying to edit video..both will suffer...set the time for your AV to run when you don't plan on doing any editing...

smoothb

smoothb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok thanks

smoothb

smoothb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried diabling the virus scan and it is still crawling. any other suggestions. i appreciate the help.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
heres a few things you could try

if you can think of non essential programs that are updating or running at start up they can be disabled

start >>run>>prefetch>>edit>>select all>>on any blue file right click

and delete

go to your tools and internet options>>delete all cookies and offline web pages>

delete all files including temporary internet files>>>click ok

check your control panel right click on java>>open>>disable updates

theres one more but you should practice this one and make it habitual

in the control panel right click on automatic updates and turn them off

but after your finish burning dvds turn automatic updates back on to there original settings

from start >>run>>msconfig>>ok>>start-up tab>>[b]disable all

except your antivirus

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If I can chip in here, there are a lot of apps that will work your CPU at 100% and most any kind of video editing is one of them. You have a Dell which is well built with good cooling and it can handle that. The big question in such cases is "what is your memory usage?". If it is near or over 100% you definitely need to add memory. If you don't have enough memory the machine will excessively write to and read from disk, slowing things down greatly. Also when doings tasks like video editing it is best to read from one hard drive and write to another, if you have two drives, even if one is external. It will considerably speed up operation.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Burning DVD's is always computer resources intensive. Even when i am burning 5 minute CD's instead of the 15 minute DVD's, if i am burning more than 1 or if i have been on the computer for a good while, i will reboot the computer just before starting the burning process. I also restart the computer between each disk that i burn. I do this because it seems when i try burning 2 cd's or dvd's in a row the computer slows down dramatically. All of a sudden a 5 minute CD will take 15 minutes and once a 15 minute dvd burn ended up taking over an hour. When i restart, it clears the 1 gig of memory i have in the computer, and the burning of disks always seems to go pretty quickly. This is on 5 different computers this happens to. From a AMD933 computer all the way up to my Intel 3.0 computer.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

from start >>run>>msconfig>>ok>>start-up tab>>disable all

except your antivirus

in addition leave your firewall checked so it starts with windows...unless your on dial up...

get ccleaner...THE SLIM VERSION...run the cleaner...when its done ...post back with how much it cleaned out...just how many megabytes..,

http://www.ccleaner....d/builds.aspx...

get space monger..it will give a graphical image of whats on the hard drive...look for any video files...

http://www.snapfiles...acemonger.html..

.then defrag the hard drive...if you are using the stock defragger...do it in safe mode...